Jump to content


Wisconsin Bow Hunting Update - October 25, 2008

Posted by Chrud , 25 October 2008 · 142 views

I finally got to hunt my food plot again, only the second time this year and the first time in five weeks.  I got in my stand about 3:30 PM.  It was about 48 degrees, with 10-20 MPH winds, switching from the west to the south often.  I was taking a few readings with my range finder at about 3:55 PM when I thought I heard something behind me.  It rained all day Friday, so the leaves were quiet.  That is the only thing that saved this buck's life.

I turned to look and there was a pretty nice buck about 30 yards to my left.  This is the second time this year I've had a wide-open, broadside shot at a deer, only to have the deer on the wrong side of the tree.  I grabbed my bow, but didn't have enough time to stand up and turn around.  As the buck walked away, I was able to get a good look at him in my binoculars.  He didn't have a huge rack, but it was a pretty decent 8-point with dark chocolate antlers.  What really impressed me about this buck was the size of it's body.  It was huge!  I would say thing buck went at least 225 pound on the hoof, maybe more.  The body was bigger than the big buck I shot a few years ago.  I'm definitely hoping to get another shot at that buck.  It was a great encounter.  With the front moving in, I expected to see some deer, but not a nice buck at 4:00 PM.

I also saw at least 23 turkeys.  I had one foot on my ladder to climb down and two small does showed up out of nowhere at 25 yards.  One of them would have been dead, but I had one foot on my ladder and my bow hanging from my pull-up rope.

I did spook the does, so I don't plan on hunting the morning.  It is supposed to be very windy tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'll make it back out or not.

On a side note, the buck, and a couple other deer on earlier hunts, have been down wind of me.  I have yet to be busted.  I guess my Scent-A-Way system is working.

Search My Blog

Sponsored Links