10 replies to this topic

#1 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

OK Folks, here is my situation.
I Shoot a Hoyt Vtec, draw at 72#, 27.5" draw length. Am meeting some of the fine people from this forum for an African bowhunt - in 2 1/2 short weeks. My Copper John Dead Nuts pin rails are goobered from apparent overtightening the pins. The pins are NOT in vertical alignment. I purchased (courtesy of Cabelas) a G5 Optix ME with the hopes it would be a suitable substitute for the Copper John. IT IS NOT. The adjustment is FAR TOO limited. The pins are spread too far apart for the poundage I am shooting. The proprietary sight light isn't adjustable. I am not satisfied and in desperate need of suggestions, especially with the upcoming hunt looming on the horizon.
The help I am looking for is: does anybody know of a micro-adjustable, strong, 4 - 5 pin sight that can accomodate an "over-the -counter" sight light. Further, I'm not sure if this is limited to my bow or not, but, the initial setup of the sight has to accomodate some fairly large adjustment.
Mikey

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

This is not a micro adjust site but it's got alot of adjustment. With some quick pencil marks you'll never miss that feature. And I believe it takes a standard light as well.

It's inexpensive enough you can buy TWO and have all the spare parts you'll need in the field.

This is exactly what I am doing Mikey ;) See you there.

TG500
Posted Image

#3 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:55 PM

Mike,

I see no hope. I suggest you select from your list which of those trophies Leo can shoot and which ones I can shoot...just a thought!

You're right, the Spot Hogg is not taped for a light

I have my Extreme Pro sight if nothing else. You are more than welcome to grab that. Let's look around!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

Go git another Copper John, you're going to Africa for crying out loud! Now ain't the time to scrimp on costs. Honestly, if you liked the Copper John and were comfortable with it, I would highly recomend getting another, as you are already familar with it. Best of Luck to all of you!

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

I am in total agreement with Jeff. Now is not the time to make changes..

In fact probably outta buy 2 in case something happens over there..

My $.02

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

I had the same problem with my copper Johns and I will not go back, sorry.
Look at the spot Hoggs like the Real Deal model. Very micro adjustable pins and great on the vertical and windage with finger turn screws adjustment on them. Once there set in you good to go and make adjustments back forth from field points and broadheads easily. Tough is another word for there sights. The pins are fairly bright on there own but I don't like bright pins and lights are good for shooting out of a cave in MHO. You pay for what you get and that's my .02

Real Deal sight by Spot Hogg

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 04 August 2006 - 08:24 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

I wouold look into the Trophy Ridge Sights myself. I use them and I have had no trouble with them at all. They may be a little on the pricey side but at least you get a life time qarrenty with them.

MD

#8 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

Leo: Good idea.

Will: NOT A CHANCE - BUDDY!!! See you tomorrow:D If I dont find anything...dig out that Extreme Pro sight - Thanks.

Marty (aka) Fatty: Probably the most sound advice so far.

Jeff: Actually, the Optix sight costs about twice that of the Copper John. I was mislead into thinking I was purchasing something more superior. What a mistake!!

Rowdy: I'm going to head over to the bow shop tomorrow and check on the spot hog products. Sounds like you know what my situation is.

MD: While out tomorrow, Im going to check out the Trophy Ridge products as well.

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:32 PM

I've got the CJ site and have had some issues. Think I'm on my 3rd one.
next one will be a spot hog.

can't give ya any details Mike...but when my houseing screws stripped it was start of elk season....( night before opening day ) sure was glad I had an extra sight I bought at an archery shop close out in my gear bag.

good luck in africa
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

Mike,

I looked at that link Rowdy provided. Down at the bottom it says "ultra violet sight light available. Hmmm...They must have a secondary accessory to add to the sight that we're not seeing.

When your here tomorrow, let's take a look at my spot hogg. I'm sure between the two of us we can come up with a light attachment (light attachments are critical when you're shooting from a limestone blind with little slits to shoot out of. There is hardly any light during the middle of the day yet alone at dawn and twilight conditions. A light can be the difference).
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#11 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

Rowdy:

Spot Hogg wins.

Picked up the real deal, you're right, the sight appears stout and durable. The pin adjustment is fully sweeping and I really like the retracting/telescoping feature of each pin.

Thank You to all who offered advice. I took each suggestion seriously. I really appreciate the knowledge base that exists and is accessible on this forum. Thanks Again!!!!!

Mikey

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users