Chronoed My Switchback

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

It only took me over a year, but I finally got around to chronoing my Switchback. I noticed the string had stretched a bit since last fall so I had it put back into spec. First shot through the paper was a perfect bullet hole. At 70 pounds, 28" draw length and a 395ish grain Gold Tip Pro Hunter my average speed was 275 FPS. The highest rating was 278 FPS. That gives me about 66 to 68 foot-pounds of kinetic energy so I'm very pleased with that.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

That'll take out an elk :)

Based on that bow's IBO that's almost exactly the speed it should shoot with a 28inch draw and 395grain arrow. So looks good.
Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:59 AM

Chrud I have checked my 28" Switchback and I've measured the same speed with the 28.25" arrows that are around the 395 grain mark. My bow is set at 70#.

I've ordered a new string from Prostrings and that might pick up another 5fps if nothing else changes.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

RY: man don't be making to many changes this close to your bear hunt :)

Matt now that you know how fast it shoots, you can come out and help me chase some elk...come on ..lets goo....were waiting !!!!!!!!!!!!!
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

RY: man don't be making to many changes this close to your bear hunt :)

Matt now that you know how fast it shoots, you can come out and help me chase some elk...come on ..lets goo....were waiting !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. A new string takes awhile to settle down. I would take at LEAST 50shots before I made any site adjustments. Otherwise you often end up playing "chase the arrow" with your pins and end up with them almost exactly where you started. Been there done that.

With a new string leave the sites alone until your groups are tight and consistent. It'll save tons of aggravation.

Chrud,

Now that you know your chrono speed. Take note of it. A serious loss of speed without any changes to explain it is a good indicator something is wearing out ;)
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

I agree. A new string takes awhile to settle down. I would take at LEAST 50shots before I made any site adjustments. Otherwise you often end up playing "chase the arrow" with your pins and end up with them almost exactly where you started. Been there done that.

With a new string leave the sites alone until your groups are tight and consistent. It'll save tons of aggravation.

McBruce I did it cause my peep was rotating and my string was bunching on me. I replace the cable on it several months back. I had no choice less it fail during the hunt or just before I take off for Canada. :doh:

Leo great advice. I can put it on this week hopefully once it arrives. And with in two evening I can put 50 plus arrows through it before worrying about making an adjustments. I hate being taunted by equipment failures.

Is it September yet !- not yet! - not til I get the bow ready. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users