• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

get a tripod. use it. ALL the time.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#17 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Eric here is Donnie's e-mail. donnie@risingsunoutdoors.com His site's name is lonestar bowhunters.

Steve

#18 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

I e- mailed him so hopefully soon I'll be up and running on my amatuer video maker career

Thank for all the help everyone B)

Run
-Eric

#19 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

Sorry about reviving such an old topic but I have a quick question if anyone can answer it:

I had sort of givin up on trying to use the video camera because I couldn't find really any of the cables and all the stuff that came with it because we got it before I understood much of anything about a computer and my mom really has no idea so they all got misplaced.

I talked to the people from Sony and the person said that our camera doesn't use a USB cable. The only cable that I found was an A/V . My question is this: does anyone make a product that plugs into the USB port and that I put the A/V plug-ins into? So basically the video would go through the A/V cable, into the box or whatever, and then into the computer like most digital cameras. This would be for the Digital Camcorder and not for a VHS one. I saw what I would need for a VHS one but I'm not sure if it would work for a digital camcorder.

I'm pretty sure this is what I need if I decide to use our older VHS one. So basically do you think this would work with my digital camcorder?
Tuner/Video Capture Box

Thanks
Eric

Edited by run'ngun, 16 October 2007 - 09:39 PM.

-Eric

#20 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:09 AM

I might know a little about it :shifty:

I'm betting Jere knows a thing or two as well. He did actually work for a production company.

Capture thru USB2.0 port is limited by the speed of your processor, number of USB devices in use and the speed of your harddrive. Capturing video in this manner is essentially like taping something off TV. In other words it happens real time only and you typically can use your computer for NOTHING else while it's doing so.

Always capture in full size AVI format first (640x480/30 or 720x480/30). Compression on the fly during capture will inevitably cause dropped frames, stagger and soundtrack sync problems.

Use a separate post processing encoder to edit and compress the video to MPEG2(DVD Format) or WMV(Windows Media) later.

I've used Pinnacle Studio to do most of my stuff but the program is limited and it has some extremely annoying hardware conflicts. Don't expect a patch from Pinnacle. If you bought it and it won't run on your computer, you are out of luck. You won't be able to return the software.

I've heard Adobe Premier is a much better package and eventually I'll move up to that. But I haven't tried it yet so I don't know.
Posted Image

#21 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

Hmmm you guys have my my curiosity peeked. anyone try it yet?

#22 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

I started video taping all my hunts this year...so I'm curious also as to process it all to share on this sight -is that even possible?
Maybe Wacm will chime in-I know he has done some with all his videos.

#23 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

I do all my pics and video on Photobucket.com...........Its free and does great...................
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#24 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

check out the link on webshots...I have elk/bear and fishing vid s up there.

run:

I would suggest saveing your pennies and picking up a video camera that will hook up with your computer.

prices are really coming down and you can get something that isn't to expensive that will work for you.

good luck and have fun getting tape
even if it doesnt upload to yoru computer. getting video of your hunts is a great keepsake.

Edited by McBruce, 17 October 2007 - 07:44 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#25 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:43 PM

Thanks a lot of all the help everyone! I found out my mom's digital camera has a video function and I found the USB cable for it and even better it is automatically in .MOV format so I can directly upload it to photobucket. I got everyone squared away and now it is uploading to photobucket. It has said "encoding" now for probably 5 minutes. Is this normal? The video is only a couple seconds long
-Eric

#26 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thanks a ton for all of your help guys! Check the test area!

I always know where I can come if I need help with anything! :yes: :yes:

Thanks
Eric
-Eric

#27 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

good job run...looks like ya got it figured out.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#28 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

Leo....the video wizard! Nuff said! :peekaboo:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#29 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

Leo....the video wizard! Nuff said! :peekaboo:

At least someone remembers I know a thing or two about video ;)

Run,

Photobucket has to re-encode your videos from .MOV (apple quicktime) format to .FLV (flash video). Encoding while uploading over the web is an extremely SLOW process. Which I'm certain you've experienced.

If you're gonna continue to use Photobucket, I suggest you learn how to encode your video files to .FLV BEFORE uploading them to Photobucket.

As far as capturing video from your existing Vid Cam goes. A usb type box will work but it can have extremely annoying problems. The absolute best bet is to get a Graphics card that plugs into your AGP slot that has VIVO (video in/video out) capabilities. Bottomline, you will still have annoying limitations unless your hard drive is up to the capture task. A good SATA drive makes a big difference. Unless you are trying to capture HD video you probably don't need a raid 0 array.

That being said, as I'm sure you have already discovered, any way to avoid the capture phase is preferable to actually trying to capture. Cameras that record directly to .AVI format are THE BEST for making shareable video. You can typically, get the .AVIs off the card with nothing more than a card reader. Although no website allows you to directly upload .AVIs, .AVIs are convertable to ANY format. Always convert to the Website required format BEFORE you try to upload. This is truly where Canon's Powershot wins hands down. They record directly to .AVI and give the user maximum flexibility. Many of the vid cams out today are interlaced and over-compressed. This makes conversion to other formats extremely lossy. In other words, converted video from compressed on the fly video looks TERRIBLE. Cameras that record directly to DVD are the next best thing. You still have to convert the .VOB files to .AVIs first, but at least you avoid the capture phase which can introduce a lot of errors. The interlacing on DVD cams typically makes slow mo segments look awful. It also increases the post processing required to get a video "de-shock" (ie. free hand video that is jerky).

There are helper video sites out there. Google for video editing and you will find them.

Youtube will get you hammered with a bunch of whackos if you post hunting video on it. So beware.

The best option for video and pictures is to upload them to the web storage supplied to you by your ISP (internet service provider). Just download Filezilla and set it up to upload to your space. Typically ISPs give you about 20mb of online storage. Call them and find out how to access it ;)
Posted Image

#30 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

Thanks a lot Leo! You are the video wizard. Are there any good free video editors out there that can convert files and edit them?
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users