Anyone want to buy a computer?!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

Crap!

I finally broke down today and decided it was time to add more memory to my beast here. (Tired of lagging out when I try to play online games. 512 wasn't cutting it anymore. LOL) Well, I break into the motherboard specs and instantly I think, "Oh crap". Turns out my system uses Rambus stuff. We're talking two to three times the price of most RAM. Nobody in my area even has it and those who can get it are telling me I can expect to pay $300+ for a 512 MB chip. :thumbsdown:

It's a shame... I was looking to take it out to 2 Gigs. No way I am spending that though. At that kind of price I think I'd rather buy a new computer with "lesser" more popular RAM (SD) that is readily available.

Interesting read on the stuff at wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambus
So much for "The wave of the future". :lol: :angry: :(

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Ken

Ken

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

Jer

Tigerdirect has a 256meg rambus module for 109 plus shipping of course.

I posted a link

Tigerdirect Rambus Page

They also have two 512 modules but the cheapest is 240.00. I think in five or so years you won't be able to get any rambus modules for PC's as it is failed technology.

Ken

Edited by Ken, 08 August 2006 - 11:32 AM.

Ken

Always Place The Mission First
Never Accept Defeat
Never Leave a Fallen Comrade

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

What's in the PC now is actually 1066, not 800. (Yeah, even harder to find!) Oh, and it's non-ECC.
Here's the run down...

RIMM 256MB PC1066 32X8 R0
Manufacturer: Samsung
Model #: MR16R1628DFO-CT9 1066-32P
Density (MB): 256
Organization: 128Mx16*32s
Voltage (V): 2.5
Refresh: 16K/32 ms
Speed: IO Frequency 1,066 MHz Row Access Time (tRAC) 32ns
Number of Pins: 184
Comments: Single Side
Parity: Non-ECC

When I got this computer approx. 4 years ago, it was supposed to be, "The computer to rule all computers". It still probably kicks the butt of over half the PC's being sold as new, but I'm pretty much ready to throw it in the garbage because of this. I certainly won't be upgrading the MOBO because I already could use a new DVD drive and hard drives. (Add a case and couple cards and you've got a new PC! LOL)

Sigh... I was looking at Alienware last night. Too bad we're talking ~$6000 for what I would want. (Kinda makes the $4000 this system cost look like chump change.)

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

sig_admin.png

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Hey, Ken, help me out here... Am I really seeing what I think I'm seeing here?
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...prodlist=nextag

If this is the right stuff (and I'm pretty sure it is, but it seems too good to be true) I'll order two right now!

sig_admin.png

#5 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

Hey JR,

Did you look here?

MemoryTime in Portland Oregon
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

Welp... I already ordered half a gig from ZZF. I have a feeling I'll be wishing I had gone to a gig and a half (or 2) instead of a gig in no time... But, I just aint made of money. Oh well... Hopefully I'll "limp through" until I have the money to either build or buy something else.

sig_admin.png

#7 Ken

Ken

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:14 AM

Jer

1 gig of memory for Windows XP, this is the OS your using?, is more then enough. Microsoft recommends 256 meg for Windows and following the general rule "What MS recommends double", 512 is really the most you need to run XP at it's fastest speed on the computer, any more memory dosen't add any speed increases to Windows.

1 gig though will allow you to run more programs and if you play any online stuff it will also allow you to have more frames in memory for graphics that will speed up the video processing some.

Ken
Ken

Always Place The Mission First
Never Accept Defeat
Never Leave a Fallen Comrade

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, it's mostly just for "fun". My frames per second in most online games is horrid. Seeing as I run an ATI X850 Pro graphics card and my connection shows low latency, the only other thing I could think it would be is the RAM.

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users