8 replies to this topic

#1 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

Gearing up for Elk season and I thought I would poll the group to see what you guys carry to munch on during an all day hunt. Last year I got a lot of mileage from trail mix, and peanut butter tortillas(kinda wierd but packs well). This year I've discovered cliff bars! There 96 cents each at Walmart, loaded with nutrition, and man do they taste yummy. Only down side is they can probably smelled across an entire mountain.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

I plan on a sandwich or so. also an apple, prolly a candy bar or two, and cookies, and chips, and pretzels and plenty of tp. I don't want to get caught short in case I meet a hungry bear or Marty.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

:rofl: :rofl: You know when I first saw the post I thought thats kind of a personal question isn't it till I read the post? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anything that packs well I will eat. :yes: ;)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

:rofl: :rofl: You know when I first saw the post I thought thats kind of a personal question isn't it till I read the post? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anything that packs well I will eat. :yes: ;)

:lol: :rofl: :lol:

#5 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

cell phone for pizza delivery??? :D :D :D

#6 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

Your biggest concern when hunting elk is water.

You need about a gallon a day to keep your body in check when hiking in the mountains. Simple solution, get a water filtration system and pack it with you. Nothing better the wiping sweat off of your brow, sitting talking with a buddy next to a creek, deep in the Aspens drinking fresh, clean cold mountain water. Love it!

Anyway, Fruit is a smart choice, it gives your body much needed nutrients quickly and will keep your blood levels stable.

Sugars next. breaks down quickly and kinda kicks you into gear climbing up mountains. I usually carry jolly ranchers or some sort of hard candy.

You can go several days w/o food in the high country but who would want to?

Protein bars, sandwichs etc are nice. Jerky has a tendency to dehydrate you alittle. But if your in an area your comfortable with and holds water I will usually munch on it.

Personally, I like eating my elk backstarps back at camp on opening morning.. :P

Fatty the food stealer.........

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:31 AM

I hit wally world and pick up a couple of boxes of the slim fast peanut butter bars.

taste better then power bars, if you read what each does and has in it, its almost the same. some sort of hard candy...sometimes. usually a bpj sandwich for lunch. hydro with at least a litter of water.

my pack will have some sort of rain gear ( even a pancho ) some rope, fire starters, knife, spare batteries.

electronics I have my gps, radio ( or combo gps/radio) digital camera, range finder.

calls are on a laniard around my neck. mini bionoculars are in my left side pocket, range finder is in my right side pocket, release is on my wrist from when I get ready to leave camp till I get back to camp. never comes off.

ohhh and TP. charmin has these mini rolls in plastic containers, works great in a pack and they cost 3 for 1.00 at the store.

leave the important stuff for last and at the top of the pack :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:36 AM

Water, Water and more Water,

Hunting Season is the only time I loose weight.

I use my stored up FAT reserve :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

for real though, I have an apple, Banna(for the potasiam Helps with the leg cramps that evening) some crackers, and protien bar, plus I carry 64 oz of water in my camel back.

Oh and a side note, the longer the season goes and I loose weight the more snacks I can carry :rofl: :rofl:

R L

Edited by mzlloader, 08 August 2006 - 11:10 AM.

Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#9 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

Water, Water and more Water,

Hunting Season is the only time I loose weight.

I use my stored up FAT reserve :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

for real though, I have an apple, Banna(for the potasiam Helps with the leg cramps that evening) some crackers, and protien bar, plus I carry 64 oz of water in my camel back.

Oh and a side note, the longer the season goes and I loose weight the more snacks I can carry :rofl: :rofl:

R L

I second the motion.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users