7 replies to this topic

#1 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

I'm considering getting a bow sling for this years hunt. However, I'm afraid I'll end up using it too much and find myself staring unexpectly at an elk while my bow is still stashed away in the sling.

#2 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

I have a bow sling in my day pack. The only time I actually use it is after the fun part of hunt'n is over and the real work has started!!

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

You hit the nail on the head tdl. That is exactly what happened to me last year. It was late morning on my last day of archery season and I was in "get home" mode. I crested a ridge and there was a nice fat cow elk walking broadside to me at just under 30 yards. My bow was in a sling, the arrows were in the quiver and my release was in my pocket. All I could do was stand there like an idiot and watch her walk right past me and on down the ridge while I...

:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

The closest I've been yet to a shot opportunity and it was WASTED because my bow as in a sling instead of in my hand.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

Depending on the type of sling you prefer or like is up to you guys.
Myself I like either H.S or Carltons style of sling because you can shoot the bow with it still attatched. I made mine similar but its lighter and adjusts to length quicker.

CARLTON SLING
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#5 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

Moral of the story, Larry; they only come out after YOU stop hunting. ;)

Edited by Charles, 09 August 2006 - 09:12 PM.

5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:23 AM

Wow I guess elk have the same sort of 6th sense as other game. I don't know how many times I have been caught unprepared because of a momentary lapse where I had the arrow in the quiver or the rifle slung on the shoulder. It seems to happen most often as we crest a hill or a rise. I find it so tempting to become a sightseeer and for the moment quit hunting. That is when I get busted by game and stand there with the proverbial egg on the face This is in spite of teaching my boys they should be their most alert when approaching the crest.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 HUNT

HUNT

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:28 AM

I use the cheater bow sling. I got it at Cabelas best thing I ever bought. You shoot with it on. It helps you hold steady. I use it all the time even when practicing.
HUNT SAFE & SMART

Put one in the engine room

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:16 PM

I uee one but when I am walking into the Elk woods it is best to keep the bow ready, you never know when or where Mr. 6x6 will be lerking. I will use it if I am going in if it is dark and when I come out after sunset. Mine is a real simple one that has two draw cords on the end the have a slide on them to go around the cams.

MD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users