• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

I have a couple of Thompson Center Renegades. I also have a number of different Green Mountain Barrels that drop into the Renegade stock. One of the barrels is a Stainless Steel 1/28 twist 28" barrel.

I was told about a new sabot out there by a friend on line. Some of us have seen them used in the 200 grain Shockwaves. They are a blue sabot made by MMP. So I purchased a couple bags of them through MMP and then ordered some 10mm or .40 caliber .400 diameter XTP's that weigh 200 grains. I was told that they shoot excellent out of fast twist barrels. This on line poster said he had shot the XTP's with 110 grains of Triple Se7en 2f.

So today I took the rifle out and the new sabot/projectile combination. I loaded 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and from the 50 yard line off a single Caldwell shot bag bench rest took my first shot.

Posted Image

I was using CCI caps. Unfortunately these were not the magnum caps. I have a brother living in the big cities purchase CCI Magnum #11 caps for me and of course he got the wrong ones. So I have 1000 of the standard caps to shoot off. I actually got a slight hang fire with the first shot.

Without swabbing I loaded a second 100 grains charge and fired a second and third. Again, a slight hang fire could be detected. On the 4th shot, a definite hang fire occurred because I was about to bring the rifle off the bag to re-cap. (group #1)

Posted Image

I then swabbed the barrel clean and went into the house and got some RWS 1075 #11 caps. I upped the powder charge to 110 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and shot another three shot group. With the RWS caps there was no hang fire. (group #2)

While this might not be considered a "traditional" load, I think it sure would be a good hunting load. Very accurate, and with the powder charge and projectile combination it would be hard hitting. It should expand excellent, and I think if all things work good, I will give them a try this deer season for a day or two.

On a different forum though, a poster pointed out that the effective speed of these XTP's is around 1200 fps while I am sure that I am pushing the projectile out to 2000 fps or even more. Do you think that this would cause the bullet to splatter on impact of a deer? I know the 240 grain XTP's have killed a lot of deer and hogs, and I personally see no reason to doubt the 200 grain but your opinions would be appreciated.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

Cayugad I Looked up In my one reloading manual and the 10mm Auto with a 5 inch bbl using the 200 gr XTP lists the fastest load at 1130 and the slowest was 970 so that is about right with your info. I have been shooting the xtps a lot out of my 50 cal bighorn. I shot two deer last fall with the 240 gr xtp and 80 gr of FFg Gooex. Today I finally got my bighorn dialed in with 300 gr XTPs I in truth shot a group nearly identical to your #1 group but at 100 yards with a scope. Can't wait to see how they work on game.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

PA Ridge Runner - from all the posts I have read about the 300 grain XTP... shoot that in the right place and you have a dead deer. With groups like what you're describing, a deer would be in real danger out to 150 yards with you behind the trigger..
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

Cayugad that is the plan. I am having trouble uploading that pic of the target but when I can get it up I'll share it.

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

PA Ridge Runner would be in real danger out to 150 yards with you behind the trigger..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good one Cayugad. :P :P
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

Posted Image

Here is the pic of the target.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

Wow!! that is some great groups you got there.. It's nice when everything comes together and the rifle shoots the way you expect it to.

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:16 PM

:lol: Sorry I forgot to mention the pic I posted was of PA's because he is having trouble uploading pics.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#9 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:31 AM

CAYUGAD WHERE DID YOU FIND 200 GR .40 CAL XTP BULLETS FROM I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THEM BUT WITH LITTLE LUCK THEY SHOOT GOOD IN MY 45 CAL WITH A 1 IN 66 TWIST THEY SHOOT BETTER THAN A ROUND BALL B)

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:21 AM

MN just as you with the 40 Cal 200 gr XTP, I had trouble getting the 300 Gr, I had to have my local Shop order the 300 gr XTPs for me. Infact when I asked for them the store manager said he didn't think hornady made a 300 gr xtp. I assured him they did as I already had a box of them. It is truly amazing that a sabot will outshoot a PRB in that slow twist rifle. I'd be willing to bet the really big stores, i.e. Cabelas, or Bass Pro would most likely stock them.

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

CAYUGAD WHERE DID YOU FIND 200 GR .40 CAL XTP BULLETS FROM I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THEM  BUT WITH LITTLE LUCK THEY SHOOT GOOD IN MY 45 CAL  WITH A 1 IN 66 TWIST THEY SHOOT BETTER THAN A ROUND BALL  B)

MidSouth Shooters Supply is where I buy the majority of my bullets.

MidSouth Shooters Supply 300 grain XTP Magnums are the XTP's I get when I want to shoot the larger XTP's.

#12 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

Good shootin' guys.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users