6 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

This is probably a dumb question but if so it won't be my first. :rolleyes: :lol: When I traded my Renegade for a Knight MK-85 .54 cal it came with 25 loose sabots and thus I have no idea of the brand. The sabot is red and the slug is a lead flat nosed solid point with a copper jacket that extends right up to the edge of the nose. Any idea what they might be? They look similar to the Nosler's that Jim Shockey indorses. The reason I ask is that if they shoot well, I'd like to buy some more. Figure if anyone would know, you would.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

The red sabot you refer to is made by MMP Sabot Co. They are a .451-.452 sabot made for projectiles 185-300 grain in weight. The bullet you mention was sold by Knight for a long time. I picked up a bunch of them when the stores were selling them off. They were a 310 grain copper clad lead tip bullet. They were .451 in diameter and came with the red MMP sabot. I have not seen them for a long time now. They were selling 10 packs for $3.29 and I bought five packs for my .54 caliber renegade.

I think the bullet was a nosler but I would not swear to that. Knight no longer makes them. I just checked my bullet closet and it appears that I have shot all mine off or I would have been glad to mail them to you. I used to shoot them out of my Renegade with 80 grains of powder and some amazing accuracy.

You might want to get some of the MMP Red sabots and then some 300 grain XTP's. They should shoot well for you and they will sure bring down about anything you want. Also the Barnes line of bullets should do real well for you . I just bought a bunch of the new 285 grain Barnes Spitfires but have not shot them yet. They sure look like bad medicine for anything that comes in the way..

Sorry I could not help you more.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

Thanks guy, you were a big help and gave me the info I needed. I haven't shot any yet but I was guessing an 80 grain load.

Edited by Spirithawk, 09 August 2006 - 10:14 PM.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:25 PM

The older MK-85's were a strong well made rifle able to handle up to 120 grains of loose powder. Most of them were shot with loads around 100 grains. Why knight ever stopped making that rifle is beyond me. When one of them comes on an auction, people are still more then ready to purchase one.

I too would start my testing about 80 grains and then work up from there. That rifle will be a good shooter. I have yet to hear a Knight MK-85 owner ever tell about poor accuracy from their rifles..

Good luck and keep us posted. I really like my Knight Rifles.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:38 PM

Will do gladly. I apreciate and value the advice. This MK-85 has never been fired so I feel lucky to have found it. I traded my Renegade for it because it's a lot lighter for me to carry and these days I need a scope. Didn't feel right about a scope on the Renegade lol. This MK-85 is one of the nicer ones with a checkered stock and a nice recoil pad. I'm waiting till the weather cools off a bit to get out and shoot it. I just have a real good feeling that I'm gonna like it. I'll try to post a pic of it tomorrow.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:34 AM

Spirithawk as I mentioned to you on the phone last night Yesterday I fired the 45 cal 300 Gr Xtps and got great results in my Knight Bighorn with 80 gr of FF Gooex. Now if I can find a cooperative cow elk that waits till I get over a case of critter jitters she may be mine. Sure won't be the rifles fault.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

I'm waiting till the weather cools off a bit to get out and shoot it.

Now Norm when you finally get to shoot it don't let it hurt you to bad on the bench because that Knight will belt you. :rofl: :rofl: And I can't stand to see a grown man cry. :P :rofl: :rofl:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users