5 replies to this topic

#1 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

I was reading an article in Peterson's Bowhunting where the author advised to stay out of the woods during the middle part of the day. His reasons- the winds were to unpredictable and you would only be hunting elk in their bedding areas anyway.

Being the flatlander that I am, I plan on spending all day every day in the woods while I am out west. After all you have to make the most of it. Besides, last year I walked way too far to turn around and comeback out for lunch.

What do you experienced elk hunters do during the mid day hours?

* I apoplogize for all the elk hunting threads I have started but I got the fever and my wife certainly isn't interested in talking elk hunting*

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hey elk season is coming and these are great questions..

My personal opinion:

True that elk tend to stick into the open country meadows and clearcuts in early morning and late evening. It is cooler and they tend to want to feed during this time.

But that would mean only hunting 1-2 hours a day and when a guy travels out West for an elk hunt that just isn't gonna tame the fever.

I hunt elk all day long, but if it is warm out the elk will deep into cooler thick cover. I have harvested several elk at 10:00am, 12:00pm and 3:00 in the afternoon. It just doesn't matter a whole lot if you learn how to move slowly and silently thru the thick timber where the elk tend to bed.

To a seasoned elk hunter it is a science or even an art to move silently into their bedrooms and be successfull. I have done this and it is quite rewarding.

So, yes, watch the wind but you are gonna be hunting all day out here. You can find and harvest elk at any part of the day and have traveled way too far to be sitting on a log back at camp.

Go get em.. ;)

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

I have been lucky enough to have taken 11 elk in my life time, 3 bulls and 8 cows. here is a break down of what time of day they were all taken, you can read and decied.

between sunup and 9am ----------- 1 bull 2 cows.

between 9am and 4 pm------------2bulls 4 cows

between 4pm and sunset----------- 2 cows

All of the ones beween 9 am and 4 pm were sitting on escape routes I knew the elk were going to take when a hunter walked thru there bedding areas. There always be a hunter in the woods trying to sneak in on elk, Do your home work, find out which way they will leave there beds when pushed and well Let the other hunters do the work for ya its that simple

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:25 AM

when pushed and well Let the other hunters do the work for ya its that simple

R L

RL right there is the best info we could give all hunters. :yes:

Now I'm not saying just sit all the time and don't do alot of scouting to find our game but I have killed most of my deer because of other hunters. ;)

And Travis thanks for all the elky posts. B) B)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:49 PM

elk dont stop eating and travellin cause it's ###### sapiens lunchtime. stay in the woods, stay on the stand, and dont smack your lips when your eating your lunch...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:49 AM

I've never hunted elk but I sure agree with everyone on this point. I stay in the woods all day when I'm able too when hunting deer. I've never shot one from the lunch table. As for letting the other people do the work I couldn't agree more. I hunt on alot of public land and I scout those escape routes all the time. Last rifle season I had 2 bucks shot by 7 am. opening day and both had been pushed by other hunters.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users