4 replies to this topic

#1 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

I posted a couple of days ago in the shotgun forum about my boss's upcoming caribou hunt in Alaska. He had originally planned to use a 12ga slug gun for hunting AND bear protection. Now I believe he is planning on taking his .30-06 for the 'bou and borrowing my Ruger Vaquero .45LC for personal bear defense.

What would be a good choice in FACTORY .45LC ammo for this purpose?

I asked this question on the old boards and was told that Keith bullets are a great choice for hand loaded bear cartridges, but the boss is leaving on Friday and wants to pick up some factory stuff. Any ideas?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

Well, never mind. Since all ammo has to go UPS ground which takes about 10 days to get up here in the mountains and my boss is leaving on Friday morning, I have to go with what's available locally. And that will be the Cor-Bon +P 300 gr JSP bonded flat nose. Good reviews and I can walk into the local shop and buy it. Besides, it's not ME going to Alaska and sneaking around in bear country.... :shifty:

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

A friend of mine has a 45 he carrys for deer and I tried to get in touch with him but to no avail. If the +P loads for that are like the +P loads in a 38 spcl then it should work well. Sure hope he does not have to try it out though.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

just tell him to take you and you'll worry about the ammo....
you can be the cover your back bear secuity officer :)

Jack says your really good at it :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

Why yes, Bruce, I AM very good at personal bear defense, thank you. It's simply a matter of opinion as to who I scared the most: the bear or Jack. :evil:

Either way you look at it, I was succesful. The critter disappeared into the next county saving the Pickle's hiney, while Pickle had to change his shorts before we headed back down off the mountain, giving me a great story to tell for years to come. Old Jack is one prepared hunter. He's the only guy I've ever hunted with who keeps a spare pair of shorts in his emergency pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users