• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

I will most likely be coming out rte 70 and turn south on 24. Where do I turn off from there? Do I look for road marker 705 like in the pic? How far south do I travel on 24 till I get to the turn off. Is there a better way to get there than I have planned. Right now I am planning on leaving very very early on the 14th from Topeka KS so I can get there in daylight.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

Paul

I 70 west out of denver to vail , first exit past vail is the Minturn exit. ( hwy 24)
take that exit and go south through minturn, I don't remember exact milage....
around 12 miles to Redcliff. stay on 24 another couple of miles
you will see a sign for HOMESTAKE rec area and arrow to the west ( right )
one mile past the homestake turn is the 705 road, ( not marked very well )
turn to your right about 200 yards in to your left is where we will set up camp.
just past the 705 sign.

if someone has better directions... feel free ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

Thanks Bruce I should find that easily enough. One more question I will need to stop for some groceries where would be good for that and how far will it be to the nearest grocery store from camp. Knowing the way Eric eats he will need to go for more vittles.

#4 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

Bruce must have gotten those direction off the internet.

Take Minturn Exit
Go through town
drive up real steep mountain
cross bridge(look over bridge as you go and get lite headed)
keep driving until beaver ponds are real close to road
then keep driving until you do S curve going up hill
drive for a mile or two then realize the 705 sign is buried under dense shrub growth.
turn around drive back and clearly see the back of the 705 sign
turn there and look for pink tights in a tree
when you find the pink ruffian flag you're there!
:lol:

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

Jack, thanks for the color commentary... I hear John Madden is needing a side kick ;)

ok a bit more color....

once you top a curvy mountain road and start down the other side, there is a bridge ( big drop ) Eric you can stop and spit off this one and count to 100 before it hits. ( jack told me that ) there will be a sign for Redcliff. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT leave HWY 24 and go into Redcliff. you will get lost and be a day late making it to camp. ( RIGHT JER !!!!!! )

when you come to HOMESTAKE, it will have brown signs with white lettering ( national forest signage ) just pass homestake on HWY 24 you will go through major S curves and about 1 mile on the right will be 705 ( yes jack is right the sign is back off the hwy and brush covered )

IF you continue and miss 705 you will see pull outs on the left ...there is pictures and signs there of the old camp hale and the mountain division ( this is where they did all the high mtn and winter training during WWII )

IF you come to this you've gone to far, turn around and go back, IF you reach the Pizza hut in Leadville wait there and Larry will come and bring you back to camp.

In any case.... those who are coming out...send me a PM and I'll give you my cell and home numbers, just in case you need someone to talk you in and which north to use.

Ok as far as vittles go..... When you come up out of Denver. About 65 miles west you?ll come through the Eisenhower tunnels. ( can't miss em 1.7 miles long twin tunnels through the divide ) then its an 8 mile 6-7% grade down hill run.
At the bottom is Silverthorn/Dillion.
Take the Silverthorn / Dillion Exit and turn left ( south ) and go about 3/4 of a mile. on your left hand side is a shopping center, there is a City Market. (Largest grocery store in Summit County) I would suggest getting supplies there.
Stop at the customer service desk on your way in and ask for a value card.
Give it to the person ringing you out and you will get discounted prices. Can save a few bucks. (It?s free, just sign up)

There is a City Market in Vail ( about 14 miles back north ) or a Grocery store in Leadville ( just past the Pizza hut ) about 20 miles on south.
Vail will be high priced. Leadville is a nice store but small. Limit selection.

but if Eric eats ya out of house and home it should do in a pinch. Across the street from the Market in Leadville is a Dollar Gen Store....and just down the road is a hardware store. So most of your forgotten items can be picked up in Leadville. without going to far out of the way.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

G.P.S. co-ordinates? Can't go this year but would love to look at it from a Terra-server satalite photograph. Might also help flatlanders or Ann Landers find their way.

#7 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:06 PM

G.P.S. co-ordinates? Can't go this year but would love to look at it from a Terra-server satalite photograph. Might also help flatlanders or Ann Landers find their way.

once again heres the link, hope this helps:

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/ima...7cpando%7cco%7c

at the top of the map click on foto tab and you can see it in black and white aerial

106.33909 west longitude by 39.46817 north latitude it says in the left of the map page

we wish you all were coming
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

You'll do fine in finding it just head NORTH :rofl: Have a great trip.

MD

#9 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:19 AM

Right on the money info:

http://z9.invisionfree.com/huntingresource...owtopic=783&hl=
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#10 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

You'll do fine in finding it just head NORTH :rofl: Have a great trip.

MD

thats left north right, not right north right??? :D :no: :yes: :o) :) :rolleyes: :rofl: :P
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

Don't forget rear north

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users