Sask Black Bear Hunt.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:54 AM

June of 04, I went on a spring black bear hunt with DJ & Dawn Enns.
We drove to LaRonge Sask, where we got on a float plane for a 30 min flight into the lodge. We were greeted at the docks by DJ & Dawn themselves. Along with a line of the employees who started helping unload the plane and haul our gear up to our Cabins. An hour after settling in we met DJ at the commons ( mess hall / lodge ) and did all of our paper work for the week, lic and such.
No money other then our intial deposit changed hands untill the day we left.
On the 2nd day there I filled my tag for my black bear, a little one 300lb but such a perfect coat.
This was a combination fishing/hunting trip. The fishing was awesome to say the least. When we got done skinning the bear out, they handled packing and freezing it for us, and then also handled shipping it out to have my rug made up.

all in all on a scale of 1-10 I would have to give DJ & Dawn a 9 on the perfect hunt. ( some renovations and construction going on, improvements ) is the only thing that would stop it from being a 10.
the cabins on the water are new, everything is kept spotless and clean. Food was fantastic.
check them out at
Black Bear Island Lodge
tell em bruce sent you.
by the way, DJ offers a 100% guarentee on getting a shot on a bear. If for some reason you don't see a bear you have the option to stay untill you do, or you tell him what the trip was worth to you. Its your call.
He won't promise a harvest cause no one knows if you can shoot or not :) but you will get the oppertunity to.

Edited by McBruce, 25 March 2005 - 12:28 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:59 AM

Bad link. What a tease. :blink:
Posted Image

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:29 PM

Link Fixed :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

Bruce
Sounds like you had a good time. Also sounds like a nice place to bear hunt.

Do they have any other hunts availabe besides bear?

I didn't see any other hunts advertised.

Ric

Edited by RicF, 05 April 2005 - 02:52 PM.

PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:03 PM

currently they do bear and fishing.
they do some water fowl,
the outfitter is lic to do moose, but won't. All of his guides are natives.
Very strong sense, amoungest the trib that the moose are theirs via gov treaties.
Even though he could do them, he wouldn't have any employees if he did.
so he says its not worth the 6-10 tags he is allowed a year.

I caught a glimps first hand of that feeling. My Guide was native and actually was teaching us some swear words in Cree. LOL. On the way back from the stand one night, we were pole pushing the boat through a stream ( if it was deep enought to call it a stream, ) and had a moose come out of the timber infront of us and cross.
I was able to get about 30 seconds of video of it before it vanished into the forest on the other side.

Seeing and watching the look on the Guides face, there was no doubt it was a big treat to have a moose at 50 yards or less.

The guide did have some fun with the outfitter. They meet up with the outfitter each night and give reports on the day. The outfitter asked if I had a shot. Guide said yes, he shot a moose. He's putting my (the guides ) tag on it.
The outfitter almost fainted. Then Richard explained to him, that I shot it with the video camera. ROFLMAO not my bow.

oh well all part of the memories.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users