• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:04 PM

How important are tire chains this time of year. I have some good gripping tires but no chains. What is the wisdom for a 4wd driver. My bro in law insists that I should have a set for both front and back to be ready to traverse the peaks. At least if I buy a set and do not need them I sure would get to camp in any weather here at home.

He is concerned to the point of paranoia about CWD. How much of a concern is it out there. He pointed out to me about the postings and warnings on the CO DOW website. Just how prevelant is it.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 19 August 2006 - 10:07 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:21 PM

How important are tire chains this time of year. I have some good gripping tires but no chains. What is the wisdom for a 4wd driver. My bro in law insists that I should have a set for both front and back to be ready to traverse the peaks. At least if I buy a set and do not need them I sure would get to camp in any weather here at home.

Well if you think we should buy them I will go half's with you. :yes: ;)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 GP@AZ

GP@AZ

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

As for the chain thing I wont try to answer. As for the CWD thing here in AZ they say as long as you don't cut into any of the spinal are you will have no problems. Some of the processors here still saw cut some of the cuts of meats. I haven't heard of any real concern as to mad elk disease in any game animals yet. I have a friend at work who's dad had a bed and breakfast elk ranch. Federal officers came to the ranch and put down 3/4 of his heard with no compensation. NO CWD was found in any of the elk they put down.

#4 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:11 AM

Paul,

Let your brother in law know that his panty hoses are on too tight! You'll do just fine without the chains. If it snows that time of year, and if it's too deep to the point chains are required, then we'll use snowmobiles and atv's right out from camp. No worries!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:38 AM

The reason I asked was he has the most experience of anyone around here hunting elk in CO. He is a retired Chemical engineer and claims that the CWD problem is far more acute than published. He does claim the CWD prion is a carbon based critter that can withstand heat up to 1300 degrees which seems impossible for anything carbon based.

His comments about unit 45 being CWD free were since it was nearly surrounded by units that it has been found and all the elk winter together no area is free from the disease. As I said he is obsessed to the point of paranoia with CWD in CO.

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahps/cwd/ Don't shoot something that looks sick

Edited by mudduck, 20 August 2006 - 02:49 PM.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahps/cwd/ Don't shoot something that looks sick

Not being critical Jeff.

I don't know the right answer.

It seems allowing a sick animal to wander around spreading it's disease might be worse. This raises some questions for me. Mainly what does DNR want hunters to do. I'm all for doing what's best for the herd.

But what's the answer? Honestly, I don't know.
Posted Image

#8 elkhunter40

elkhunter40

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

Tire chains you should not need.

You can have your elk tested of CWD for I think for $15.00 by DOW and if it is + for CWD DOW will refund your money for the tag.

As for a elk that looks sick you can call DOW with the last location of the sick elk.
If you shoot it you will have to put a tag on it.

#9 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

I heard a rumor that any elk meat transported back into NC has to have been inspected and declared CWD free. I haven't looked this up yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

#10 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

i have chains that dont fit my tires, you may borrow them at will.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

I have P265/75 R16 on my truck Just bought them they are fairly agressive tread. This is an extended cab full size chevy short bed with posi track rearend.

#12 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

Well if you are driving a Chevy the most important thing to bring is a good tow chain. :rolleyes:

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:52 PM

Mule deer I am planning on that those ford drivers need someone to pull them out and being as they never plan ahead they sure won't have a chain. Lol :rofl:

#14 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:15 AM

:rofl: :rofl: @ Jack

"Behavioral changes also occur in the majority of cases, including decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, blank facial expression, and repetitive walking in set patterns. In elk, behavioral changes may also include hyperexcitability and nervousness."

"Excessive salivation and grinding of the teeth also are observed."

"transmission of CWD is thought to be lateral or from animal to animal"

After read the three quotes above, I'm starting to worry a bit about Marty. I believe he lives right in the middle of an epidemic area (?) It might explain a few things... :P :rofl: :rofl:

Let's put the cat in the bag before we start eating it... ;) But, what Ron said!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#15 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

Zip it skinny, I tested negative! :P

The 2 areas South of Laramie GMU 5 and 6, right on the Northern CO border are CWD areas.

University of Wyoming labs will test your animal for you for like $10. I do that every year even though I hunt in other areas, always testing negative.

Just use universal percautions( don't mess with the spine and the brain and wear latex gloves when butchering your elk)

But like Huck mentioned, you don't have any chance of even worrying about it unless you get one on the ground.

I have 0 worries on CWD. Use your head when caring for the animal and by the time the butcher gets it froze and packaged the test results will come back negative.

This BS has been around since the 60's and how many people have contracted it from an elk? -------------0

Fatty ;)

Edited by bonecollector34, 21 August 2006 - 08:20 AM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users