6 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

Going goose hunting for the first time ever next week. It's the first time ever Crane has opened up lake Greenwood. There are lots of Geese, but they usually hang out on the south side of the lake. Unfortunately the natural resources director placed all the approved sites on the north side of the lake.

Any advice for a first timer? I'm going with a guy that used to guide. He has the calls, decoys, boat, all that. I have a 12 guage o/u Baikal and a 12 guage Remmington 1100 with an extra long barrel. Which gun? What ammo? Additional advice?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

jj, i was just saying the other day i could get addicted to waterfowlling, i have never done it and i am scared to for that reason, my wife would shoot me. i would love to try it, it looks like a ball!
good luck luck on those honkers !
Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 28 August 2006 - 07:47 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#3 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

oh yeh....the old 1100 would be my choice with some bb`s or nitro 2`s
Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#4 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

WOW! 2's?! That aught to put a smack on 'em.

Full Choke then? I also have an extra full choke and a turkey choke.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:26 AM

Use the extra full or turkey choke on them. They can be real tough to drop. I used # 4 buck on them and had no complaints. BB's or #2's will work fine.

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:00 AM

Check with your buddy on shot size to see what's legal in your state. Also make sure that the choke you use is made for steel shot that size(large shot won't compress well and could damage the gun if too small diameter of a choke tube is used). My chokes for geese have the acceptable shot size and either "steel" or "lead" stamped on them. :blink:

Edited by Phil, 30 August 2006 - 05:03 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:21 AM

Boys,

I was supposed to be in a goose blind right now, but guide #1 cancelled on me Sunday and guide #2 cancelled last night - BIG BUMMER!

Maybe next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users