• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

I was experimenting with loads and combinations trying to get a little better accuracy out of my rifles. One thing I had tried in some other rifles was the use of cornmeal as a filler. The filler would act as a wad or pressure seal if you want to call it. Since I was shooting a larger caliber, I knew I would have to use a good amount of the corn meal.

The important thing to remember when shooting cornmeal wads is, pour the powder, and level the load by tamping the butt of the rifle on the ground. After that pour the cornmeal down the barrel and again, tamp the butt of the rifle before seating the projectile. All this time, keep this rifle as straight up and down as possible.

This shooting was done August 23rd. I wanted to see how accurate my future deer rifle would be for his year. Most my shots are around 35 yards, so I decided to shoot at 50 yards.

Posted Image

I was shooting a .58 caliber Green Mountain Barrel mounted on a Thompson Center Renegade. The load was 100 grains of Goex 2f and a 284 grain Speer roundball. The patch was pillow tick and I used moosemilk as the lube.

Over all I was very happy with this five shot group at 50 yard with the open sights. The load seemed accurate and had a lot of down range thump.

I then decided to test the cornmeal theory. I loaded the same powder and ball but this time added 20 grains of Quaker brand cornmeal in the rifle. I shot a six shot group. The final shot I adjusted the POI to see if I could hit the bullseye.

Posted Image

not to bad. I think the cornmeal might give a little advantage. I just need to shoot more. This is just something if you have a little time and a rifle that likes wads, something you might want to try.

A couple days later a friend stopped over to the house to sight in his rifle. He asked me if I was going to shoot something. His rifle was a scoped CVA Optima. I told him I'd grab a rifle and join him on the range. We were at the 50 yard station as where we hunt, this is a long shot in all honesty. After he shot his five shot group and was all smiles, I shot a group very similar in tightness to the one posted above, again with corn meal.

Needless to say, he was impressed that with open sights a rifle could shoot groups like that. I then explained that I shoot every day of the week, sometimes two rifles a day. With all that practice, something has to improve.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:04 AM

Wow Cayugad guess that cornmeal experiment paid off. Of course It doesn't hurt to have a good rifle and load to begin with not to mention the prowess of the nut that holds the trigger Lol. Good Shooting.

Man I have not been out to the range in several weeks. What with helping Eric get his new house ready to move into, getting ready to go to Colorado. Sure glad I got the old Bighorn dialed in early.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

I was out today trying the cornmeal in a Thompson Center Hawkins Flintlock. This time the cornmeal not only did not help, but I had two strange flyers. Could be the kind of ignition that takes place in a flintlock. With out the cornmeal it shot great. I shot over twenty rounds and never had to knapp the flint. All ignition was RIGHT NOW. So I was more then pleased. Glad I orders a bunch more flints when they were on sale. I've been having a lot of fun shooting the rock locks again.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:54 PM

Good shooting! Now you have no excuse for coming home with nothing for the pot. :lol: That should be a good load for barking squirrels. :evil:

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

Good shooting! Now you have no excuse for coming home with nothing for the pot. :lol: That should be a good load for barking squirrels. :evil:

I'm more determined to knock a deer down with this rifle. I hunted last year with it and never saw one, so I have to hunt harder this year. I've been out scouting though and I have sure seen better sign this this year has...

At least the wolves are doing well around here. :rolleyes:

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Cayugad, if you add some egg, milk and baking powder ya can have some cornbread to go with your venison. ;) :lol: Sorry bud, couldn't resist. I'm for anything that makes your bullet fly straight.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

Spirithawk I was thinking of something like that too. Shoot a deer and feed the birds and squirrels at the same time.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

Good idea Paul. Who says hunters aren't conservationists? :lol:

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

:idea: WOW! you could shoot the deer, remove the back straps, shake that in your possible bag, and have breaded venison chops right on the spot... :yes:

#10 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:53 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :P You guys have WAY to much time on your hands. :P :rofl:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:48 AM

Don't complain Eric. If Paul didn't have too much time on his hands you might not have been born. ;) :lol: Sorry bud, wouldn't tease ya if ya weren't high on my list of people I like. Besides you're way too close to being right. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users