7 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

I went again this week to Gahanna city hall to sign up meeting to bowhunt their city parks to lower their deer population. Gahanna is a suburb to Columbus and has a lot of car traffic. Already they have had 18 deer car accidents this summer. And that's the reason for this program plus the Columbus airport is right next door and deer and jets don't mix well.

The meeting last year had 175 bowhunters showed up and they said this year's meeting only 36 hunters ever hunted the parks. This year there will be that many hunters again from the looks of the meeting I went to. I bet from the remarks I heard only 30 might show up the hunt the whole season. I never got turned down when I tried to hunt the parks in the afternoons.

Now I never saw very many deer last year and only got my bow at full draw once. But it's close to home and one of these times I'll connect. The other thing is my car isn't very far away either to drag it back too.

I know most of you guys don't live near the bigger city. But if you do try to see if your city would have a program to control the deer herds.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

:lol: That's a good program. If you tried that here, you'd be hanging next to your deer. :lol:

#3 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

What state is this Columbus in?

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

I do the same here in salisbury township in the walking purchase park. Go to the salisbury police dept and get a free permit to hunt the 2 parks, archery only. Man I'll tell you nothing is harder to hunt then an educated deer population! The bucks here are almost nocturnal. usually show up 15 min b4 quitting time, except for once while preseason scouting I found one on the trail i'd just walked down, i turned around to leave the way I came and he was cutting the trail 30 ft behind me. These are small parks with alot of pressure from hunters not to mention all the hikers & bikers.

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:32 AM

What state is this Columbus in?

Frank Sr it's the buckeye State Ohio.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

nothing wrong with that mark, i get to deer hunt the airport property this fall and most likely the biltmore estate property(largest home in america) this fall plus, my buddy mikes farm in tennessee,which is my favorite!..i should have a good fall!
Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#7 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:16 AM

It was suggested in my home town but it got shot down. The biggest problem with the deer is they are eating homeowners landscaping. The way I feel about it is if your going to build in their habitat you best be prepared to feed them.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#8 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

here in Springfield , Oh you can not hunt in town. Some one has been poaching in the local Cemetry. They have taken several bucks from there. I hope they catch the poacher. It is kinda neat to see the deer in there since it is fenced on three sides. They come up the creek to get into there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users