8 replies to this topic

#1 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

I got these pics via e-mail. The fish was taken on Lake Marpaus in Louisiana. Measured 8'2" and weighed around 245#'s. There is a short video as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/QuadB...antGatorGar.flv
Posted Image

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:50 PM

:o that thing could take the leg off a swimmer! :worry:
Posted Image

#3 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

Phil, I've fished off of some man made damns for redfish and seen some of these garfish rolling in the deeper water behind us. None this big, but some at 6' or just under. Can make you a little nervous being that close to them.
Posted Image

#4 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

The Real Story About This Giant Garfish.

It was shot 8/12/05 in texas, that pic has been floating around in emails recently. a guy even tried to use it for his guide service, that is Robin and Keith from Aim Low Productions and here is the write up from their journal.

FIELD JOURNALS ARCHIVE - BOW FISHING 2005
This is what it is all about. We love to hunt, but really love to bowfish! Follow along as we get after the big ones. We are behind with this year's journal, but will be getting it caught up very quickly. Hope you enjoy the entries and the photos!
Texas Day 6, Another Record Day!
8/12/05
This day was a day that is beyond what I ever imagined possible. After sitting a while on some rolling gator gar, we decided to move to a different spot for longnose. Just after we switched our Retriever reels for spincasts, a big one rolled out behind us, like it was sticking his tongue at us for giving up. So...I said, "Let's make one more pass thru there, and then we can get out of here." Halfway thru that pass, we looked down and seen an absolute monster right in front of the boat, only about 1 foot deep! We both said "oh my gosh!" at the same time and both shot the fish at exactly the same time. Both were perfect hits right behind the gill and the fight was on!

I was very nervous trying to fight the fish due to not having our Retrievers on. I did my best to stay on the trolling motor to follow the fish on 3 different runs. The power those fish have is awesome! Just as we began to worry that one of our lines was wrapped up, the fish floundered to the top, about 15 yards out. Keith jumped down and grabbed a 3rd bow that did have a slotted Retriever on it and put a 3rd arrow into the fish. With that line, he hauled her right to the boatside while I put bows 1 and 2 on the deck and scrambled to get the gaff ready. Soon, the gaff was in the fish and we could actually take a look at the fish. WOW, I couldn't believe the size of the head. I knew the fish was a giant before we shot, but man, this was just breathtaking!

It took a while to get her into the boat. We literally could not drag her over the side. I was just about to concede to the fact that we would have to tow her to shore when it came to me to try the very back of the boat where the freeboard was less. Finally, both of us managed to grunt and strain enough to get her in.

Unbelievable, at least to us!

Here are a couple of pix. We got the fish certified at 244.5 lbs, a pending Rayburn record! She was 8'2" and had a 44.75" girth. This kept us busy for the rest of the day, so we will be heading home a day early. This day just can't be beat!

Edited by WayneBizzle, 11 September 2006 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:24 AM

A monster in anyones opinion. I wonder how old that fish was being that long and that big around. Thanks Wayne for sharing that story and pics. A taxidermist would have a monster invoice for replicating that one for the wall. :yes:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

Years ago my brother-in-law and I were fishing a deep hole on the Meremac River here in Missouri and there was a log just a few yards from our boat. We never thought anything about it, that is untill that log swam away!!! :blink: :huh: Yep, it was a monsterous big Gar. I never waded in The Meremac again! Would'nt let my kids in the water eighther. :no:

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 October 2006 - 02:34 PM.

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

Geez! That is a big o' fish

I wouldn't want to wrestle him anywhere but 100 yards from any water :lol:

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

My moneys on you Marty, you could take him. ;) :lol:

#9 hogmess

hogmess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Going in the spring to Choke Canyon with a buddy after some gator gar. He has a boat all rigged up. Last summer we went to Inks lake and shot tuns of needle nose and buffalo. I will post some pics sometime!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users