8 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

Anyone ever try this? An old timer gave me this trick. Take and fill an old nylon with rocksalt. About 1 to 2 pounds of salt. Hang the salt filled nylon from a tree limb high enough that deer can't reach it, keep in mind they can reach high when standing on their back legs. When it rains the salt will leach out of the stocking and drip onto the ground. With salt blocks a deer can eat it's fill and may not come back around for several days. This way they get just enough to make them want more and they keep coming back looking for it. Especially since they can still smell the salt in the stocking. I've had deer dig up areas the size of a large round dinning table in the dirt underneath the stockings. It's cheap, it's simple and easy to do, and you can hang several in differant areas where you want to see deer, but the best reason to do it is it works. Of course you need a rain now and then for it to work. If you try it Let me know if it works well for you too.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Norm I think I'll try that this season. It sounds simple enough. Other hunters might not even see it if you hang it right. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

Sounds like a good idea..thanks
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#4 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

I have done this myself, and yes it does work.

MD

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

or pour it on an old stump. in three weeks it'll be tore up 50 yrds around it...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

iodized rock salt is better for the deer. they need the iodine same as we do.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

i use top do something similar but i'd put the salt in burlap bags and hang them up.....and yes it does work...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#8 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

It sounds like a good idea. We can't bait in the area I hunt. But it still sonds like it would work.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

Silver Tip, Ive used table salt too. First time it rains it hardens into a block inside the nylon and will last a long while.
Huntfromthesoul, salt is a mineral and here in Missouri it's legal to put minerals out for deer. It's not considered baiting and it will draw them in. Sometimes it's the old and simple tricks that work best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users