24 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

Just wondering how our brethren are doing out in the wilds of Colorado. Anyone heard any news?

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

I went by camp last night and hunted with the guys.
so far no elk down, they have been seeing them. the rifle hunters are watching the bulls ( since they only have cow tags ) and the guys shooting archery have had bad luck with other hunters busting a set.
2 nights in a row now, charles has had elk in and all around him ( bulls ) only to have some other hunter let loose on a bugle tube and off they go ( part of public land hunting )

Terry is battling elevation sickness. hopefully he is doing better today.
Huck came across a couple of cows, tons of mule deer and found larrys bear up on the south side...then found his big brother :)
I've never seen huck white before...must have been a good encounter :)

other then it being cold...( which is good for elk hunting ) all are doing well.
Phil , Paul says thanks for the GPS with no directions, Charles pulled him and Mn Paul off a hill top last night :) in the dark.

Eric..... I think I let him down...I didn't play one joke on him and now he thinks I don't like him or something LOL.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

Cool, thanks for the update. :yes:

#4 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

Mother nature delivered one heck of a snow snow Saturday. It made hunt (especially with a bow) difficult. Much of the day was spent recovery from all the slips and falls and drying off...everything/everyone was wet. Yes we were in the elk. Shooting them in that type of storm was impossible. My bow was severely iced up.

Posted Image

Sunday brought warmer weather and better visibility. I had two cows within 50 yards, but I was never presented with a shot. I kept running into tracks from one or two elk. I never found the big herds which we were looking for. I just do not believe the elk are in full rut yet.

Yep, I had a nice black bear within 15 yards for several minutes. I walked into an elk carcass (unknowningly). I messed up the dining bears dinner. I met this bear's bigger brother some two hundred yards down the trail. It was a pants wetting experience... and that's all I have to say about that :o .

If I hear any more news, I'll pass it along. ;)

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 18 September 2006 - 09:13 PM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

:lol: :lol:

ok now that thats out of my system..

I hope you all are having a blast at elkatraz. if its a garmin etrax let me know and I'll make copies of my instruction manual for you.

I hope someone brought a clean pair along. try not to suprise them at a carcass it really gets on their nerves!

#6 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hope Terry get over that sickness, it can be alittle rough to start off with...

Huck, where was I on that bear ? I woulda wrestled him down and patted him on the bottom... :o)

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#7 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

McBruce and Huck; Thanks for the update on the Elkatraz hunt. Huck, you keep on putting yourself on the menu for the lions and bears, be careful my friend. You let that old bear eat his frozen elk carcass, and go find yourself a fresh bull or cow. Wishing all you folks a great hunt, good friendship, and great memories. Be safe and shoot straight ! Hungry Horse in Pa :D

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:21 AM

Wish I was There.....and tell Paul that he was supposed to actually watch the instructional DVD that was with the GPS ! ; :wacko:

Sure hope everyone has an encounter !!!! :yes:
Posted Image

#9 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:15 PM

We're having a great but occasionally collld time. All except myself have seen elk. The elk were bugling right by E3 camp this morn but I was in the sack and didnt hear them. Fine food and fine companionship. My wife cooked the group two supper meals and WOW can them guys EAT... Ron(elkhunter40) and son Josh are also an excellent cooks. Today is Josh's 20th birhtday so they went to Silverthorne shoppin. Rest of the group was plotting and evening hunt as I was loading to leave.

I am off now to antelope hunt for a day or two in Westcliffe then back to E3.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#10 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

Good luck Will and the rest of E3. Happy Birthday Josh!!!

#11 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Stupid job! We are REALLY missing being there this year!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the update Bruce, Huck and Silvertips! Sounds like fun.

Happy birthday Josh!

Terry your altitude sickness can lay you up. It's no fun. It laid me up last year in Montana at lower elevations than you are now. Hope you feel better soon.

Good luck you all and hope someone can connect this year and put EOTG. (elk on the ground).

Question --- does anyone have a bear tag in camp? If so try hunting with Huck the smell of human pee is suppose to draw in the bears :lol: I was told that on my last trip to Canada. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 20 September 2006 - 11:58 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#13 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

Man Huck , Wet pants and cold weather don't mix well at all. Your apt to freeze up ....or down ...depends how you look at it. LOL Have fun and take in a deep breath of that mountain air for me, ok. Thanks, Matt.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#14 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

Mother nature delivered one heck of a snow snow Saturday. It made hunt (especially with a bow) difficult. Much of the day was spent recovery from all the slips and falls and drying off...everything/everyone was wet. Yes we were in the elk. Shooting them in that type of storm was impossible. My bow was severely iced up.

Posted Image

Sunday brought warmer weather and better visibility. I had two cows within 50 yards, but I was never presented with a shot. I kept running into tracks from one or two elk. I never found the big herds which we were looking for. I just do not believe the elk are in full rut yet.

Yep, I had a nice black bear within 15 yards for several minutes. I walked into an elk carcass (unknowningly). I messed up the dining bears dinner. I met this bear's bigger brother some two hundred yards down the trail. It was a pants wetting experience... and that's all I have to say about that :o .

If I hear any more news, I'll pass it along. ;)

You didn't happen to have borrowed a pair of Larry$ socks did ya? ;)
Posted Image

#15 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

The guys are suposed to get 4-8 inches of snow at E3 tonight. Them elk otto be bugling...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users