• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:29 PM

I agree, on a deer the fiber optics is a great invention. I just never thought how confusing it would be with a bright orange dot on the center of the target. I wanted to hold a modified 6 but could not spot it enough because the dot was only 1" and the fiber optics would cover it completly. So I settled for a full 6 o'clock hold.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#17 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:22 PM

CAYUGAD I LIKE THAT STAND IS IT PCV B) GOOD IDEA :)

#18 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:04 AM

Hey, I like that target holder. What a great idea Cayugad. That would be perfect for my son and I. Gonna have to make one.

#19 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

Posted Image

Maybe this will help. It is made out of 3/4 in CPVC. The 1/2 inch is too light and it bends around. Also put some clips on the bottom string as well and the target will stay in place. You can move it all over the place and best of all in the woods in natural settings..

I changed to a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm Scope on the White Ultra Mag and wanted to see how it shot.

Posted Image

Shot #1 told me where the rifle was hitting. I was shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f, two 1/16th fiber wads, a 460 grain No Excuse and using #11 CCI Magnum caps.

Shots 2-4 looked pretty good but I made a slight adjustment to the left then shot for the corner targets. Corner #7 was the winds fault. The wind was blowing very hard, and I was trying to time the shot between wind gusts.

I then wanted to see what the rifle woud do with sabots. Since White rifles are conical shooters, I wanted to see what the sabots would do as well.

Posted Image

I never swabbed the barrel except when changing projectiles. I actually started with #3 and was shooting .458 diameter 405 grain Remington FP with knight sabots on 90 grains of Triple Se7en 2f. The first three shots was just a hole. I was so impressed I fired five more to see if the rifle would throw one. Well it held them pretty good.

Corner #1 was .458 diameter 300 grain Hornady HP's on 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f.

Corner #2 was .452 300 grain Hornady XTP's on 100 grains.

Corner #4 was .451 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB's

Corner #5 was .400 200 grain Shockwaves on 110 grains of Triple Se7en 2f.

Overall I was surprised at how well this White rifle shot sabots. The rifle has been a real surprise. A pleasant one at that.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#20 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:08 AM

WOW Cayugad from the looks of things there that White will shoot anything you stuff down it's throat. :yes: It should kill anything in it's path. B) B)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#21 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

Looks like you've got a keeper there Cayugad. Shoots as good as it looks. Thanks bunches for the diagram. :yes:

#22 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

Posted Image

It has been a long week of working in the woods cutting firewood and my new shooting range. A long week of not shooting every day. I finally was back to where I wanted the range to end. There, at the back of the range, was a large Popular Tree there which was about 3' on the stump in size. I decided I had behaved so well all week working, I need to shoot the White Rifle. I was going into withdraws reading all these posts of everyone else shooting.

For those not aware, a Popular Tree is not a hard wood. It is a softer wood, but being a green tree does have a lot of strength.

I took some marking crayon red in color and made a 2.5-3 inch circle on the white bark trunk of the tree. From the 100 yard station with the White Rifle shooting 80 grains of Triple Se7en 3f, 2 - 1/16th wonder wads, and a 460 grain NO EXCUSE CONICAL.

The two hits aimed at the RED DOT were side by side in the dot, looking at the outside of the tree. They actually travelled approximately 9 inches into the three, but took different paths as they travelled through the tree. I also shot a 200 grain Shockwave with 100 grains of Triple Se7en 3f under it. The 200 grain Shockwave travelled just under 5 inches into the tree.

The 460 grain No Excuse weighted 449.7 grains & 446.3 grains with an excellent mushroom pattern. The 449.7 grain conical expanded to 7/8th of an inch. The 446.3 grain expanded to 15/16ths of an inch which I was very impressed with. Just thinking of driving a hole that size through an animal would be most exciting. Also the degree of penetration was very impressive. I could see this conical making it a long distance through soft body tissue of a deer or elk.

The 200 grain Shockwave weighted 176.0 grains and flattened out to 3/4 of an inch which again was very impressive. It should be noted the Shockwave hit three inches higher then the large conicals.

I am not trying to compare the density of an animal to a tree by any means. All I wanted to see was how well the conicals held together. The Shockwave really impressed me holding together as well as it did. This Shockwave would really IMO make a good deer load.

All I really wanted to do was make an excuse for shooting the rifle and not working all day...

#23 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:42 AM

Impressive to say the least. That old poplar seems to be becoming popular. At least as a target :lol: I know what you mean by all that work makes one a dull boy. I haven't had any of my front stuffers out for a while now as it is spring turkey season in PA right now and getting up at extremely O dark thirty then when I get home (we can only hunt till noon) and working all afternoon. We retired folks have to watch out as that work thing becomes habitual if we aren't careful.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#24 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

All I really wanted to do was make an excuse for shooting the rifle and not working all day...

:blink: :rolleyes: <_< Boy I wish I could say that. :lol: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#25 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:37 PM

There has to be rules. You have to get your work done, but then no one should expect me to work too hard. :D I just plain had enough of the work that day.

I tell you what, years ago I could cut firewood all day and dance all night. Then get up the next day and do it all over again. Now I work all day, have to go to bed early and can hardly crawl out of bed in the morning because of muscle ache. All the time I am working I keep thinking of avoiding the heating bills for next winter... that's motivation.

The new range I shot with a lazer range finder tonight and got 119 yards & 120 yards. I hung a piece of sheet metal on the end of the range to shoot at, so I think that is pretty accurate. That will be much better with the target over four feet off the ground. Now I have to build the steel bullet trap. I'm also putting my tree stand up at 30 yards so I can practice from that as well and shoot bow back there too...

#26 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

I just remember that work is a four letter word. Although when you can make work count for both the woodpile and a new range some work isn't so bad ;) .
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users