9 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

Posted Image

I had purchased a new CVA Stalker Carbine. This rifle was made in 1992. It had a 21 inch barrel and a 1-32 twist. The wooden stock was beautiful, and with the price of it, I could not pass it up.

When it arrived at my house, I was real happy with it other then the trigger. I put the trigger on a scale and it was a little over #12 pound pull which was unacceptable. Well I mailed it back to CVA/BPI and asked them to fix it. They did indeed fix it and mailed it back to me. The trigger now breaks at #4 pounds and there is no creep at all in it.

I took it out yesterday and wanted to shoot some Black Jack Hill's (Bill Davis) 370 grain Maxi Ball through it. Once I got it shooting the main group, it was a matter of adjustment to tune it into the center of the bull. This is a real nice shooting rifle. I think for a tree stand rifle or a stalking rifle for the woods, this would be hard to beat..
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:46 AM

Cayugad that CVA looks like it will pop the eye out of the old bull all day long. My family's experience with both old and new CVA's has tainted my respect for that brand. I am glad that yours is working out for you. My bad experience with an old CVA was a bunch of years ago with a borrowed flintlock. Don't remember how it grouped as we never got it to go off.Lol.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:15 PM

Cayugad, I love your posts with the pictures of the groups you're shooting. It shows it IS possible and gives the rest of us mortals hope. ^_^
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:09 PM

Of course this is only at 30 yards. At that distance, if a rifle does not shoot a large ragged hole, I start trying to figure out why...

CVA rifles are strange. I have four or five of them and they are all good shooters. My friend has one, and it shoots terrible.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:41 PM

CVA rifles are strange. I have four or five of them and they are all good shooters. My friend has one, and it shoots terrible.

Cayugad if you or your friends ever figure that one out please inlighten us because I have a BAD taste for CVA flintlocks. <_< Just my .02 cents.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

I enjoy the challenge that a cantakerous rifle presents. There is always a reason for it acting up and I feel it is up to me to find out where the problem is. My son-in-law's first CVA rifle shot fantastic groups till it locked up. Being in Law enforcement he claims that he will not use a gun he cannot completely trust. Then when the front sight fell of the replacement that was it. He went hunting with a 58 cal side lock and actually shot a deer. I don't remember what the weight of the conical he used but it was well over 500 gr. Literally blew the deer off its feet. I believe he took that rifle back to Cabelas and got another CVA.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

Don't mean to diss CVA's but I just feel many of their rifles are less exspensive copies of T/C rifles and anything CVA can do T/C can do better. I've never been fond of the trigger assemblies on CVA's.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:21 PM

Posted Image

I decided after working all morning to shoot the CVA Stalker Carbine this afternoon. I wanted to try some different conicals out of it and a few sabots. I realize sabots are not traditional but I figured with the 1-32 twist the rifle might shoot them.

I was shooting off a bench rest at 50 yards according to the Bushnell range finder. I started with some Hornady Great Plains conicals and was not real pleased with them. They are marked with the RED arrow. I felt the should have grouped better then they did. Perhaps a sub base under them will help.

I then got out the maxiball. I know the rifle likes them with 80 grains of Pyrodex or Goex and some wads. They as normal did not disappoint me at all. The grouped excellent and will probably be my set load for the rifle. I do have to make a slight sight adjustment as I had to bury the front sight and hold where I made POI X on the target, so some adjustment is necessary. They are marked by the BLACK arrow.

I then tried some of my home made 405 grain .458 pure lead Flat Point projectiles in Knight Sabots. They just kind of sprayed around, but do show some promise. I marked them with a GREEN arrow. I know I shot five of them but could only find the three hits. The other two might have went into the maxiball hole I do not know.

Over all for a 21" barrel this is a good shooting rifle. It is a real surprise for how light and easy to point this rifle is. It could use some better sights as the stuff on there is not to my liking. Since this rifle is tapped for a scope, I was thinking of mounting a RED DOT on it. It could be a very interesting little brush gun with a RED DOT.

#9 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

Cayugad what sight is on it now?
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

It is a strange U shaped iron sight, but the front sight is the strangest of all. It is fat at the bottom and then tapers to a point at the top. I've never seen one like it before. I am thinking of some fiber optics or a RED DOT might be in order for this rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users