• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

OK yeah it's early to begin talkin about it. But we have 6 months at least to figger out where/what we do to increase our success ratio. We seem to know how to carry on an effective Elkatraz social event, we just gotta fine tune our brown down skills. If we just kill ONE elk at E4 we go from 0% to 25% kill( which is higher than the state average). Come on guys...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

Silvertip if I were to go back to No Name and hunt again with a little better weather so I could hunt every day I feel sure that with what I have learned of the quarry and terrain my chances would be much improved over the most recent experience.

That being said would I score? I don't know but I feel my chances would be better as I learned some do's and don'ts that only experience or a paid guide could teach me.

Will I be back? Well finances will dictate that but I sure would like to try again.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

New motto for Elkatraz: " We don't kill much but we SURE have fun not doin it"

:yes:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

Silvertip my thoughts exactly. Elkatraz III could very well be "I didn't get an elk with the greatest bunch of folks I could have asked for". I personally feel that I learned a whole bunch about elk, the Colorado outback, how to hunt at that altitude. And I did it with a great bunch of people that I can now put a face to when they post. To have scored on an elk would have been great but to meet and make friends with you guys was priceless.

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:50 AM

Paul, couldn't have said it better myself ;) all ya'll yankees were real nice LOL don't know if i'll be able to make it back, but i'm gonna try... the problem we had this year is we found them, but by using the radios to talk about encounters, everyone in the area on the same frequency, got the same info, maybe next year use codes? just a thought or maybe see about leasing some private land for a week? just a few thoughts
Semper Fi

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:33 AM

i was starting to think elkatraz was more of a social gathering /quilting bee ...since no elk were harvested.

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:58 AM

i was starting to think elkatraz was more of a social gathering /quilting bee ...since no elk were harvested.

Hey Dennis I wondered the same thing! :rofl: :rofl:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

Putting an Elk on the ground when hunting public land is tough especially when you have a group of guys only a couple of which knew both the game and terrain. For we flatlanders to jump to from 9000 to 12,000 foot elevation is a tough go add that you don't know exactly how to hunt them or even where to hunt them it is a learning experience the first trip.

This year the weather played a big role too as it snowed at least 3 times while we were there.

Elkatraz has it's social aspects too. You come together as friends but nontheless friends that you have never met personally. My biggest goal was to meet at last those whom I have only met here on the boards, in the chat room, or an accassional email or phone call.

I know if ever I get another opportunity I would do some things differently and would be a more effective elk hunter for having the Elkatraz experience.

#9 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

Killing an elk, heck that's easy. Now sharing that experience with a friend is taking your hunting to a whole new level. For me, it doesn't get any better than that!

I'll do E4,E5,E6....until the cows come home! I have my whole life to kill an elk and my whole life to meet new friends. The latter is more important to me.
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:11 AM

Paul, you're right, AGAIN LOL I had a blast and consider Elkatraz 3 a success regardless of not taking an elk. I met a bunch of great people that i have talked to on here on many occasions, and learned alot about hunting in that area of the country, if i make it to E4 i will know what gear i need to bring, how to bring it, and how to use it. I have my sights set on E4, just not sure if i'll be able to make it yet or not... I really hope i can though... best group of guys you'll ever wanna meet was at E3... :D

Huck.... uuhhh killing an elk may be easy, but finding them so you can is kinda tough LOL Making memories like i made on this trip.. is outstanding... You are an awesome person, and i know everyone that you helped out on this trip (especially me) will be grateful for a long LONG time. :D You know if you ever get a chance to make it down this way, you got a bed and some stomping grounds to hunt on ;)
Semper Fi

#11 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

My wife even mentioned what a nice bunch of guys y'alls were.

E4 is our year for fresh elk steaks and backstwaps.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#12 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#13 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

is it too early to be discussing e4 ???

are we gonna have it the same week in sept or bump it back a week to the last week of sept?

so much fun and so little time...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

Man I just wish I could afford to come again this year. Having endured a rather steep learning curve last year in the quarry, the territory, the altitude and of course the weather I know I could do much better on a next outing. I think I express the sentiments of all those who have been there once. I wish all who are planning to make it to Elkatraz 4 good luck and better weather than elkatraz 3.

#15 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

IMHO, Yep! Talk to me in say March after I finish licking my wounds.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users