• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:16 AM

So Phil, you guys talking the October rifle seasons, September blackpowder or something else?

Planning on an OTC hunt during the Oct. rifle hunt unless we happen to draw tags,just haven't finalized details......besides, I've got a new front porch to build for mama before then :bash: o_0

Edited by Phil, 14 September 2007 - 04:18 AM.

Posted Image

#92 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:32 PM

Hey All, thought I'd share...

I took a young lad from Illinios back into unit 45 this past weekend. Not much happened on Saturday. On Sunday, while at the top of "No Name Road", the mountain came alive ( Muledeer, Bruce and I spent time back in this area). Bulls were bulging everywhere! We had down slope wind conditions, so I decided to try for a bull chuckling above us. This bull never hit the high notes while blasting his love call. He simply growled and chuckled. We closed the gap. He let out one more series of chuckles when we were about 50 yards away. I told young Cavan to get an arrow ready. We eased forward. A sinched fist stopped us cold in our tracks. I could hear the bull sneaking towards us through the trees. I motioned to Cavan quietly- I thought the bull was going to appear above us. I reached down and retrieved my range finder from my pocket. I looked up just in time to see the bull ducking through the branches of a pine tree. He was 30 yards out and closing quickly. I motioned Cavan to come forward. He did and I ask him if he could see the bull-it was broadside at 20 yards. Trees where blocking his head and rump, but his entire vital area was exposed. Cavan's first reply was "no". I asked again "do you see him"...no. I said "right there-look 20 yards out". The bull moved his head and Cavan whispered "YES". Right then a rush of cold air zipped across my neck. We were betrayed by the wind! ARGH....! The bull drop five yards down the hill and retreated 8 yards back in the direct from which he came. He spin and stared towards us. He stood there bobbing and weaving his head. He was looking for the source of that stink. He finally trotted off. I turned around to address Cavan., I wish you all could have seen him. His leg was pumping like he had been on a sewing machine for months. I said "Cavan, he's gone. You can stop shaking now." The experience left a memory in this young man's mind. It was something he'll never forget! Can you imagine...your first elk hunt...second day out...and you were 18-20 yards from a 350-370 class bull? He's still up there hunting all by himself-I'm envious!

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 18 September 2007 - 04:35 PM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#93 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:34 AM

I would bet were all envious of him! :yes: Thanks Huck. :)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#94 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:49 AM

Huck was there any snow left from last year still up there. Were you guys out beyond the clearcuts toward the bowl area or in the meadows up beyond the really rough uphill road above the clearcuts.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#95 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

Paul,

We were west of the uphill rough road...about a mile in (above all the clear cuts). No snow on Sunday-a touch of rain though. It did snow up there Monday. Now I'm real envious. They're bulging and easy to track. It doesn't get much better than that. I except of hear from Cavan tonight. I'll fill everyone in...Work Blows!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#96 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

Huck that would be out toward the bowl. Last year that was the only place with fresh elk sign. Nothing at all up higher. I also had a bull bugling one morning way down the side from about half way out the clearcut looking down into homestake. I should have went down there but didn't because I figured that he was about 3/4 of the way down to the bottom and Charles and Eric were going to push out that side toward me which they did but didn't push any elk to me.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#97 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

I sure hope I can come next year or sometime if we decide to keep doing this. It sounds like a really fun time :)
-Eric

#98 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

...one day the ghost of Elkatraz will re-appear and E4 will happen. :stir:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#99 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:37 AM

...one day the ghost of Elkatraz will re-appear and E4 will happen. :stir:

It's gonna be close to "E4" as a few Elkatraz Vets & a couple newbies are gonna get together on the CO slopes 2nd rifle season! :bigthumb:
Posted Image

#100 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:34 AM

Seems to me that IS an officail Elkatraz. Game on!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#101 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

Seems to me that IS an officail Elkatraz. Game on!

We'll say "E3.5" until an elk is on the ground....then it'll earn an E4 standing ;)
Posted Image

#102 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

It's gonna be close to "E4" as a few Elkatraz Vets & a couple newbies are gonna get together on the CO slopes 2nd rifle season! :bigthumb:

Oh cool can I come visit???
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#103 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

If you guys want to see elk in camp come out here to Utah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users