10 replies to this topic

#1 HUNT

HUNT

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

Does anyone shoot or have one? Any pros or cons?
HUNT SAFE & SMART

Put one in the engine room

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

My nephew had one and he loved it. My one piece of advice though is that with any firearm the availability of ammo should be a big consideration. I can remember him forgeting his shells one deer season and having one heck of a time finding some in the local small towns.

#3 HUNT

HUNT

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thanks How are you doing?
HUNT SAFE & SMART

Put one in the engine room

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

I own a Marlin Model 1895 Stainless 45/70 guide gun w/ the 18" barrell. I put custom sites on it and man it is sharp! Like Spirit mentioned, odd ammo can be tough to find in odd places.

It does punch back a bit, but hits even harder. Ask my big Bison.

He no likey that gun...

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

Hanging tough, Hunt. Still waiting for the doctors to decide what they're going to do. Thanks for asking.

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

The 444 is ..........all right. The biggest drawback with it is bullet availability. Take Bone's advice and grab a 45 70. Lots of components available, you can get ammunition just about anywhere, and it hits like a ton of bricks. If you are reloading, then you can get it's full potential, not the ***** loads that the factories offer because of liabilities. In short, the 45 70 will stop an elephant with the right bullet. I'd much rather a 45 70 than a 444 if I were dealing with an enraged bear.

#7 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

:) hello hunt, i borrowed one one year in my younger days before i had a high powered rifle, i shot a deer in georgia with it and it hit that deer like a slegehammer. buffalo bore ammunition makes some great loads for it, but they are pricy! they are popular here with the dog bear hunters in north carolina.

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#8 Fred

Fred

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Trucks and driving goat trails, Hunting, Fishing. Prospecting/gold panning

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

I have had a couple of them and really liked them. :D The problem is that every one of my friends that tried the ones that I had liked them too. ;) So much so that every time I got one and showed it off they wanted it. :doh: I don't have one now! :( Fred
Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

Gee Fred, sounds like you don't need another one. You just need a friend that has one. ;) :lol:

#10 mb444

mb444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:01 PM

the 444 is...frickin great! as you can see by my title i am a fan. have owned both a 45-70 and a 444. if you reload it is a fantastic and accurate round to work with. factory loaded ammo is potent as well, 240 remingtons do a bang up job on deer and the 265 hornady's pack a real whallop for the bigger stuff. a 444 will do anything a 45-70 will do, including dropping enraged bears. i find the 444 does what the 45-70 will do with much less recoil when heavier projectiles are involved. i have yet to read anything of 444 performance complaints in actual field use.

please, for heaven's sake, don't be taken in by the nonsense that the 45-70 is a far superior cartridge.

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

Welcome aboard 444,

I didn't see anything in the posts that said a 45-70 is far superior cartridge to the 444, it did see alot of people saying that the 444 ammo is not as common.

I chose my 45-70 because of exactly that, big bear country, brush, 18" barrel and every shop in the area had 45-70 ammo. Airlines lose luggage, ammo is usually in the luggage and sitting on the docks hoping my 2 boxes of ammo show up is not a great way to spend a hunt of a lifetime.

I think both are exceptional rounds, I simply made my choice on availablity.

:peace: :peace:

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users