• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

hey guys, i need honest opinions of the 243 winchester round, i am think of a youth model for my wife and daughter to share. any kill stories with this round?

thanks,

bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

I advise you not to choose a rifle caliber based on recoil tolerance. That's old school thinking that certainly used to be true. With todays ammo and recoil supression technologies it absolutely is NOT the same issue it once was.

I would look real hard at a 308win. I've effectively harvested over a dozen deer with that round. The new reduced recoil stuff works. So do Limbsaver recoil pads and muzzle brakes. Be warned though wear hearing protection when hunting with a muzzle brake.
Posted Image

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

I bought a rifle for my daughter ( 5'2" 100lbs) last year and put alot of thinking into what to get her.

After alot of work, I chose a Ruger Mark ll in 25-06 stainless and went and had a top end break put on it. It shoots about like a 223 now. But puts animals down great. A flat shooting rifle with no recoil.

Her antelope didn't take a single step. But that has alot to do with shot placement.

A 243 is a great gun as well. I picked a 243, 25-06 and a 7mm-08 as my top choices for my daughter.

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

X 2 on the 25 06. It don't recoil at all and drops deer and bear like the hammer of Thor. I've used the 243 for deer, and it didn't impress me much.Pleasant to shoot, but not quite enough for all situations. It will work, given proper presentation, but I wouldn't be going for quartering shots with it. With the premium bullets the 25 06 will work well for elk too. I have never seen deer go down as fast as when I hit them with the 25 06. They dropped where they were standing. Same with my bud and his moose. He uses the 25 06 for moose and elk with a 120 grainer, and it flattens them.

#5 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

I like the 243 for deer, antlope, yotes and such, I have taken 1 elk with mine, would it be my first choice NOPE, you also need to look at this.

you get the 243 for her so she can go deer hunting, great gun, but now she wants to go west and take an Elk, Rutro need bigger new gun, (which I have used for an excusse many times to buy a new one works good to) :rofl: :rofl:

Like most have said look at the 25-06. 7mm-08 .270 or 308 and the one cal that I just LOVE the .280rem.

or just get a TC encore and get 3 or 4 barrles for it and let em run.

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

7mm-08 in a remington mountian rifle would be a great selection for her !
243 is a good caliber but the 7mm-08 is a shorter cartridge, plus it'll give you better options for heavier bullets if you decide to go after bigger game. :D
Posted Image

#7 diehlrod

diehlrod

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

7mm-08 is the way to go in my opinion. That was my first rifle. I also have a 25 06 and a 243 don't them it as much but they get the job done well. I'm not busting on the other 2 cartridges it is just that 7mm 08 is my gun of choice when I go out for deer. Fully comfortable shooting up to 300 meters and the recoil is almost non noticeable. If you are worried about felt recoil I suggest investing in a simms recoil pad. I have one on my barret and let me tell you they work very well. Just my 2 cents. All in all all 3 rifles would be good choices, but I would go with the 7mm-08. I've taken a bear and many deer with it. No problems.

#8 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:06 PM

I shot alot of Mule deer with the 243...........Also shot the 25-06,I liked it too.......
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#9 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:36 PM

You know you can kill a deer with a stick and string, right? Therefore, it's not so much about killing and caliber so to speak as it is about the shooter.

The .243 works great for my wife and 13 yo Son. The .280 (save for RL), the .30-06 and the .30-30 are all great very low cost options that have been overlooked here. As Leo said, the recoil technology of today has made my .300 Win Mag shootable for my son. So, think about what you're going to hunt and the conditions. If you're going out west, buy a bit bigger say the .280, .30-06 or even the previously mentioned .308 but don't worry about the recoil. Just put a $29.99 Simm's Butt-Pad on her and go shooting. If you're just gonna shoot Whitetails go with the smaller caliber and add a Simm's Butt-Pad (not selling their stuff but it works great and costs very little).

In the end it's the shooter and their confidence not the weapon that puts the game down. Teach them how to shoot well and they will be able to handle any weapon you give them.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Charles, 04 October 2006 - 07:38 PM.

5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

One of my first rifles was a Rem 243 adl. years later money got tight and I sold it. later bought a savage 243...sold it and got a Rugar Mark IV composit and stainless.

hand load bullets...nozzlers. I've shot many deer, fox and yotes. never had one run off on me. dont' take shots over 100 yards ( oh wait thats my bow ) ok no shots over 150 yards :) with a 243.

but its done fine for me.

then I went to the other end...and got a browning 300 win mag.
ok no shots over 500 yards ith that.

next rifle will be a 270 wsm ( someday ) maybe :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

Another caliber to look at is the .260. It is a 308 case neck down to 264 diameter. It has little recoil and has the same nock down power as a .270. 3 years ago I dropped a 6 point buck in West Virginia in an open field at 276 yards and the deer went right down. It was a shot I didn't believe myself.

MD

#12 johnf

johnf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

308, 7mm-08 and 243 use the same case. 7MM-08 and 25-06 have almost identical recoil which is substantially more than the 243. I have all three guns in the same configuration, with identical Nikon scopes. I havn't killed a deer yet with the -08. The 25-06 has dropped every deer in it's tracks that I've shot. With the 243 I've never had one go more than 30 yards and it was an extreem quartering shot. The bullet travled a 26" path through the deer and lodged in it's far shoulder. Four ribs on the entrance side were distroid and the lungs were in chunks. As far as long shots, I shot from 300 yards earlier this summer with the 243. The bullet punched a clean hole through two layers of 1/8" thick angle iron and through my target about 8 feet from it's original position. I'm figuring if it can do that, a deer shoulder would offer little resistance.

#13 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

bill i have used a 243 most of my life...have taken many deer at many ranges...some out to about 400 yards and the deer dropped... but i find that a 243 is not a brush gun...the bullett will be deflected with the slightest blade of grass...so clear shots all the way...i do like the 270, 308, and the 30-06 the deer drop in their tracks....i do shoot a 243 now because of the lower recoil as i don't have much hand streingth and i can controll it but am looking into a higher caliber for future hunts....if i were you i'd really go with the 7mm i bought on just before my accident for my dad and liked it so well i bought me one ...but i didn't get a chance to shoot mine because i got hurt the next day,and that's another i'm looking at...so i think it's mostly personial prefference, and the game you will be hunting mostly....jmo...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

Bill after hunting exclusively for about 15 years with a 243 and killing many deer and groundhogs with it. I know that I killed at least 12 -15 deer with that rifle and 100 gr bullets and all but one were one shot kills. That one was my fault not the rifle's. I now shoot a 270 and 7mm mag. I still have my dad's 243 and plan to take it out one day.

Eric has used a 243 since he was about 13 yrs old. He too killed a bunch of deer with it.

If you get one you won't be disappointed. Only problem with a 243 is it is not an all around rifle while suitable for antelope and deer sized game it is not an elk stopper.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#15 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

Choose the gun and caliber that fits your budget and with the correct length of trigger pull.

The 243 with the right load, perferably a 105 grain bullet will drop most anything. My sister took deer, elk moose, and antelope and all were one shot kills so dont discount its ability.
There are some great modern calibers like a 260, 280, 70-08, 25-06 and more but its your prerence.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users