• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

We were discussing the idea of shooting the White Ultra Mag off a clean unfowled barrel. The idea being for hunting I guess and if you did not see something that day you would not need to clean the rifle.

It was suggested to teflon tape the conical bullet and that should make it hit in the same spot as they would on a fowled barrel. So since I never tried this aspect with the White, I headed for the range.

The red arrow shows where the teflon taped conical hit using a 460 grain Bull Shop conical, 70 grains of T-7 3f and two wads. I was not pleased. This was done at 70 yards off a bench rest. To prove the point, on a fowled barrel I shot off around 10 more of the 460 grain Bull Shop at the center bull. That was a little more like it in my book. And I never swabbed the barrel...

I then took some of the 500 grain Bull Shop and the same load. I shot three shot groups at two of the corner targets and then poked holes in the other two corners. Over all I think the rifle is sighted in, but I am going to fowl the barrel opening morning.

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

my question is this though how do you fowel a barrel without shooting it a few times? I hear of it being done but not sure how it is done
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

Well I still fowl them by shooting them off. I like to blow the nipple and breech clean then drop 30-40 grains of the powder I intend to shoot that day down the bore. I then put a couple of bore buttons on it and shoot it off. I then do not wipe the fowling out at all, but load it as is.

At the end of the day if luck is with me I have filled a tag, and then can clean the rifle. If shooting Triple Se7en they claim you can swab the barrel out at the end of the day and run a very light coat of oil and it will be fine for another day before cleaning is necessary.

The worst powder out there is Pyrodex for corrosion properties...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

To be honest I really do not know exactly how my rifles shoot with a fouled barrel. I sighted in with a clean bore and always, if possible, swab the barrel between shots with an alcohol patch and 2 dry ones before reloading. This procedure produces great groups for me without carrying a fouled barrel around all day.

Before loading the first load I swab my clean, oiled, barrel with alcohol and a couple dry patches. I then push the dry patch down to the barrel bottom, load a cap and fire it. I then load and fire or go hunting.

I have on rare occasion left the rifle loaded for several days hunting. I have never had a misfire even then.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users