5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

Anyone know anything about the powder, I think it's called Gold Powder, that Jim Shockly ( Know I spelled that wrong ) advertises? He claims a very high number of shots fired through a gun without having to clean it.

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:57 PM

I think its called Pioneer Powder that he endorses but I'm not sure.

Run
-Eric

#3 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

Spirthawk

here ya go bud

http://www.americanpioneerpowder.com/

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

Shockey Gold as I was told, is nothing more then American Pioneer Powder screened a couple more times then APP. It then gives each grain size more uniformity which should mean you can weigh out your charges better time after time.

Think of it in terms of Pyrodex RS and Pyrodex Select powder. Select is nothing more then Pyrodex RS sent through more screens to make a more uniform gain size. They claim it is superior to Pyrodex RS but I did a lot of testing with Select since I shot it for many years. I could get no better accuracy out of Select then I could RS.

The powder I really like which is a substitute powder is Goex Pinnacle which is made by American Pioneer Powder company. Also the thing I find with a lot of the slow burning powders is they do not like heavy conicals, and heavy sabots.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:58 PM

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Much apreciated. Cayugad, check out my post on gun books under reloading. I think you'll find it interesting.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:47 PM

My only experience with American Pioneer Powder was with the Regular APP in 2F man it was like river gravel. I felt it was underpowered compared to Goex. I don't have a chronograph but felt recoil was lighter and it patterned about 2 inches lower at 50 yds with the same bullet. I was shooting it out of a sidelock percussion and just did not like it although it was definately cleaner. With Black powder I had to clean after every shot to get another loaded but with APP I could get 3 shots before cleaning.

I also had a hangfire with it and missed the buck of a lifetime in Kansas.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users