#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

I was just wondering how many pins you have on your bow sight. I think 3 is the norm that a lot of peple shoot. I shoot a PSE (I think) Top gun F18 sight. Just wondering what works for you

THanks
Run
-Eric

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Run mine are set at 10 yard increments, 20, 30, 40, 50, & 60. I practise at 40 and down because my yard is not much more than that. I'd move out to 50 or 60 yards if had the chance. The farther out the more difficult the shot but it seemingly make the closer shots look so much easier after the longer ones. Once you work at you'll see what I mean. But realistically the 40 yards and closer is where you want to be dead accurate.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

I shoot 3 pins 20, 30 & 40 yrds. Im in pennsylvania and dont shoot in 3d competitions so I never had a reason for more pins.

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

I shoot 3 pins 20, 30 & 40 yrds.

That's what I might want to sight my bow for, they are barly sighted in now

Run
-Eric

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

one pin-set at 25yds- good from 0 to 30yds. just aim and shoot. Posted Image

#6 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

I have two sites, One for around here and one for out west hunting. (Thats when and if I ever get to go again). For around here the woods are kinda thick and unless I hunting in a field, you do not need more then a 40 yard pin. For out west like Elk hunting you may need that 60 or 70 yard pin. Just my humble opinion.

MD

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

Jeff what is that sight you have in the pic? I am looking for a sight just like that one. Right now I'm shooting instinktively because I just don't like a sight with lots of pins and not to mention I'm not very good with a bow. :no:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

When I shot competition either indoors or outdoors I used a single pin that I could move.

My Bro-in-law talked me into a multiple pin set up for hunting one year. I practiced with it and got quite good. The first deer to come by that fall I pulled up and lost it. I just could not in the heat of the moment figure out which pin I should use. I finally picked one and let the arrow fly. It sailed right over that deer's back Lol. Needless to say the multiple pin set up came off that night and back to the movable single pin. I most always set the pin at 20 or 25 yds and aimed higher or lower as needed.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

I'm going to sight my bow in perfectly tommorrow so I made up my mind to sight them in at 20, 30, and 40 yards.. One more question, i have my bow set up at 45 pound draw weight, when I get strong enogh to have it on, say, 60 pounds, will I have to sight my bow in again or will the point of impact be the same.

THanks

Run
-Eric

#10 mike38

mike38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

Pa Ridgerunner,
I too have used a multi pin sight and like you had shot over the back of a trophy buck. Can't say that I blame the sight .
Made the mistake of 3-D shooting on a live target and of course he jumped the sting on me !!!!!!!!!
Never make that mistake again. :D :angry:

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

Run
As you increase the draw weight you'll have a change probably in the pins. The gap between the twenty and the thirty will get closer together as you increase the draw weight. Same with the thirty to forty gap. If the weight and or speed of the arrow changes then the pins change or the sight needs to be elevated or lowered. The arc of the arrow will shoot flatter when it's faster. It won't be much of a change.

It's all apart of archery setting in the sight. I find it to be fun and a challenge.

One suggestion don't over tighten you lock screws on your sight or pins because you'll be changing them from time to time.

Have with it and good luck!

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 01 April 2006 - 09:19 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

Run it is a very wise move to start out shooting at a low weight. You use muscles that don't get used much and need building up. Don't worry a bit about shooting a lighter weight bow than someone else just practice at a comfortable weight and later you can crank it up. You will know when to do it after you shoot a while. Man I hunted with a bow weight at 40 lbs and killed several deer with that setup. Infact the heaviest weight I ever hunted with was 55 lbs. At that weight all my hits were pass throughs. Never felt the need for more than that.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:48 AM

Never make that mistake again. :D :angry:

First off I want everyone to give Mikeeeeee38 a warm welcome :P :P
Fortunately or unfortunately I know Mike real well. :P :rofl: :rofl:

Mike never say never cuz I have had that happen more than once. :o :rolleyes:

And thanks for the info Mudduck. :D :D
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:49 PM

I learned, at an early age, to shoot instictivly. Never was a big fan of sights. My son however, can't hit a barn without them. I feel, that if you can shoot reasonably well without them, you never have to worry about a sight being off or worry wich pin to use. Plus it kept my eyes sharp for judgeing ranges.

#15 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:55 PM

I need to find a site or something with crystal clear instructions on sighting pins in.....I was out 2 hours today trying to get them on but I just culdnt get them on <_<

Run
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users