24 replies to this topic

#16 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

Hey Run, if you're not a very experienced archer then your shots are going to kind of go all over the place at first as you settle in and develop your form. A couple of years ago when Melody and I took the dive into sticks and strings we got some good advice - don't worry about shot placement at first. Move in close (10 yards) and concentrate on developing proper shooting form. Once you settle down and get consistant in your form, then you will start grouping well (no matter where that group is on your target). THEN and only then should you start adjusting your sight. Otherwise you will be "chasing your arrows" all over the place with your pins.

You can have someone knowledgable watch and coach you, pick up a good book on archery, take videos of yourself, whatever. But focus on proper shot mechanics and form FIRST.

I would also recommend that you not even consider taking 30 or 40 or 50 yard shots for a long time. Get the basics solid at close range and then start gradually working your way out. You cannot build a strong house without first building a strong foundation.

Edited by Larry $, 01 April 2006 - 05:24 PM.

Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#17 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

Hey Run, if you're not a very experienced archer then your shots are going to kind of go all over the place at first as you settle in and develop your form. A couple of years ago when Melody and I took the dive into sticks and strings we got some good advice - don't worry about shot placement at first. Move in close (10 yards) and concentrate on developing proper shooting form. Once you settle down and get consistant in your form, then you will start grouping well (no matter where that group is on your target). THEN and only then should you start adjusting your sight. Otherwise you will be "chasing your arrows" all over the place with your pins.

You can have someone knowledgable watch and coach you, pick up a good book on archery, take videos of yourself, whatever. But focus on proper shot mechanics and form FIRST.

I would also recommend that you not even consider taking 30 or 40 or 50 yard shots for a long time. Get the basics solid at close range and then start gradually working your way out. You cannot build a strong house without first building a strong foundation.

THanks Larry and everyone else.

Larry I can see what you mean, when I wuold get 6 arrows pretty close to the dot on the target I would say, wow, I'm good, but then the next time I shot they were all over the target, and then I would say wow, I'm not good.

THanks again

Run

Edited by run'ngun, 01 April 2006 - 07:20 PM.

-Eric

#18 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

Run, i got 4 on mine, and they're set at 10, 20, 30, and 40. Like so many others have said just keep practicing on your form, thats a big part of hitting where you want to hit, shoot at 10yds until you start busting fletchings off your arrows, from grouping them together, or you get a robinhood, believe me it will happen sooner than you think if you're shooting groups at 10yds.

As far as adjusting your pins, shoot a group(3 arrows), and see if they're consistantly high, low, left or right, if you have one high one low, and one to the right, keep working on your form, if all 3 are within a 2" circle and all high, move your pin up.. basically the easiest way i can tell you to adjust pins is "Chase the arrow" if you're shooting high move the pin up, if you're shooting low move the pin down, if you're shooting to the left, move the pin left, if you're shooting right, move the pin right. Geez i hope that's not too wordy...
Semper Fi

#19 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

Larry I can see what you mean, when I wuold get 6 arrows pretty close to the dot on the target I would say, wow, I'm good, but then the next time I shot they were all over the target, and then I would say wow, I'm not good.

THanks again

Run

Run after years of shooting you'll still do that :rofl: That's thing about archery you never arrive at the point you know and do it all and anyone who proclaims it is someone to stay plumb away from.

Larry is giving you some fantastic advice. Practise doesn't make you a perfect archer but some help in the beginning from some experience archers can sure help out. There are some great DVD's out that give you that advice about form.
Lancaster Archery Like staight talk from the pros and others.
Most important remember to keep it fun and don't get down on yourself over a blown shot or two. When you get sloppy or tired put it down and start up tomorrow fresh and stronger. That's what I do and my humble opinion.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 02 April 2006 - 10:18 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#20 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:21 PM

4 pins for me...out to forty but i will not a take a 40 yard shot unless everything else has failed.
Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#21 mike38

mike38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

Hi Eric,
Thanks for letting everone know that I'am a newbee.
Was in the other site as pabowhunter but I guess you already told your dad who Mike38 is :D .
The easiest thing that I learned when sighting in pins is to follow the arrow,
if you shoot high move the pin up if shooting low move the pin down same with left and right shots.
Hope that this might help somebody.
Eric thanks for the welcome and I'll talk to you at work about calling me mikeeeeeee. :angry:

#22 diehlrod

diehlrod

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:57 AM

I shoot 2 pins. 20 and 40 yards. Any more and you have to focus to much on which one to use. My bow is somwhat old, but it is very fast and flat shooting. It's an onza made by martin. I inheirted it when my old man couldn't pull it back anymore. Set at 70lbs right now with 50 percent let off I beileve. Took my first doe with that bow when I was 16.

#23 bobd

bobd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

i shoot one pin and fingers , have not forgot or lost a release yet. i set pin at 25 and would not shoot past 35

#24 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

3 pins here. Still working on accuracy so they aren't exactly set yet. :huh:
Posted Image

#25 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

remember run when siting in your bow follow the arrow with the pin this means if youre shooting high rise your pin if youre hitting low lower your pin same for right to left i switched to single pin this yr to make it simpler :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users