• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:05 PM

I would like everyone to stop reading for a second and visualize, if you will, that little Chihuahua dog walking down the sidewalk with Spike (the bulldog). I felt just like that little fellers this past weekend. But, in my case, there were two Spikes. I was given the pleasure of hunting with Marty Killion and Kelly Parks, from Laramie and Cheyenne respectively. These men are giants both physically and mentally. It was an honor to walk in their shadow.

We started our hunt on the morn of October 14th. I left Colorado around 5:00 o?clock am and arrived in Laramie, Wyoming around 7:00. We loaded my gear into Marty?s truck and set out for a new day?s adventure. We were heading towards Wyoming?s game unit 47 (well known for it?s high number of record book prong horned antelope). The drive only lasted 35 minutes?

Marty made the suggestion that I fill one of the two doe tags I had first. He felt it would help take the "wanna kill something"edge off. He was, of course, right. We spotted a group of does being tended by a few small bucks. We were able to close the distance between us and the herd to a mere 130 yards (no easy feat on flat terrain and in the view of multiple animals). With the video camera rolling, Marty tapped me on the leg. That was the signal between shooter and camera man. He was saying ?all is ready?take the shot?. The rifle belched and one of two does eternally napped on the ground.

The buck came much later in the day. We walked several miles and viewed many potential ?shooter bucks?. I was really trying to hold out for an exceptional buck. Of course, I was hunting with ?Old Reliable??my favorite Ruger M77 chambered for the flat shooting 7mm Remington mag.

My buck was finally located around 4 pm. Marty and I did what we could to eliminate the gap. (side note: with Marty standing about a foot taller than me, I again felt like that little dog. He would walk up to a hill and view over the top. I, on the other hand, bounced up and down??come on Spike, let me see, let me see!). We were forced to take a long shot. I guessed the range somewhere near 450 yards (it was beyond the capabilities of my Bushnell range finder). I held the crosshairs one foot above the goat?s back (I was sighted in to hit 2 inches high at one hundred yards). I squeezed the trigger and the gun roared. The buck humped! When the sound of the bullet, hitting the buck, found its way back to our ears, it definitely revealed that ?TWHACK? associated with a good hit! The buck ran 100 yards and bedded. Sadly, it was necessary to send two more shots. This goat did not want to give up the prairie?I couldn?t blame him.

With about an hour of daylight left, the three of us set out after Kelly?s speed goat. Boy, we saw a dandy! Kelly tried a very long shot and just missed. The goat high tailed it and we turned our attention back to some goats we had seen earlier.

Kelly made a beautiful stalk to within 300 yards of three grazing bucks. The shot he placed was first rate. The buck he selected never knew what hit him. It was a fine display of shooting and spot/stalk hunting! I wish we could have captured that one on video! It would have been priceless!

We retired for the day.

I shot my second doe early Sunday morning. She was taken with another nice 300+ yard shot (Guys, look at the photos. A lot of this land is as flat as a pancake. Getting close is a challenge, especially when there are 40 antelope watching you). On our way to the downed antelope, Marty and I gave the prairie dogs an ?it doesn?t pay to stop and look? lesson. Yep, ?Old Reliable? really doesn?t care what size you are!

Thank you Marty and Kelly for sharing your state with me!

Here are the photos. Enjoy!

http://hunting.sendphotos.com/?8448R6

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 17 October 2006 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#2 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:44 AM

will thanks for sharing yourhunt with us...thanks for the stories...i felt as if i were there with you all....congrats to you all on some great goats...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#3 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

Cool...Great hunt, great story & great pics. Thanks.

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:35 AM

great story huck and awesome pictures again....thanks :) :yes: :yes:
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

Yep great story, would have loved to watch you three hunt those goats. Thanks for sharing your hunt and great pictures with us Huck.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:23 AM

Awesome! :yes: :yes: :yes:

I'm Jealous.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:26 AM

Very cool Huck! You're a gifted story teller and photographer. Hey wait, how'd you take your own pictures? :lol: Thanks for sharing.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:53 AM

Wat to go Huck. That had to be an awesome hunt. Thanks for the pics and the story.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#9 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

congrats :D

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

Very cool Huck! You're a gifted story teller and photographer. Hey wait, how'd you take your own pictures? :lol: Thanks for sharing.

I bring a tripod and use the self timer Larry :) I honestly consider the tripod essential outdoor gear.

Real Real good mass and cutters on that pronghorn Huck! Gonna have to put a Wyoming goat hunt on the wish list :yes:

I will have to brush up on the long range shooting though it seems. The biggest problem I will have is finding someplace I can shoot that far for practice!
Posted Image

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:58 AM

It was my pleasure Will to take you and Kelly out for your speedgoats.

It was Kelly's 1st mature goat and I wish he'd had gotten that big goat that was bedded. That was a supa nice one a no-brainer Boone and Crockett contender. But we all have to miss occationally.

I spose it was quite comical to see me saying "their right there" and you jump up to be able to see where I was looking :rofl: . Sorry buddy..I keep forgetting you have a petite greenie frame. If you would to more eating and less working that would be a start.... ;)

Best advise I can give ya guys is know your rifle and put the time in and be able to shoot 300+ yards. Might get ya 30 yards from a big one but better prepare for worst case senerio. This is the difference between getting a "big" one vs a nice one.

Will, my little buddy, you made some good shots. I think there is 2 prairie dogs and 3 antelope that will agree with me. The prairie dog hunt on video is classic, I mean really funny. My kids both spit their pop outta their mouthes watching that. We will have to do that again---soon. It was a pleasure to hunt with you again, and on my home turf was neat. I enjoyed showing ya our State.

I look forward to many more hunts with you, Fawn also was impressed with you. She said your welcome in our home anytime. Next time I will just throw a blanket over ya while your zzzzzzzzzz'ing on the sectional. LOL

Now that all my buddies have gotten their goats, it is our turn . My son and I still have tags to fill. I will try and get out this week and git-er-done. I think I have looked at 100 nice bucks this year, don't know quite I am looking for yet. that crooked horn pronghorn would be cool, if I could get him to go to my area.

Good fun buddy

Fat Marty ;)

Edited by bonecollector34, 17 October 2006 - 09:08 AM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#12 Franksdaughter

Franksdaughter

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

thanxs for sharing and hoped you had fun
~Love Is A Gift, Don't Waste It~

#13 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

Huck; Great hunt story and photo's. Glad you and the buds had a great time in Wyoming. That was a beautiful sunset photo. Thanks for sharing with us. :D HH in Pa

#14 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

What an awesome hunting year you've had Will !
Thanks for being willing to share your experiences, advice, & savvy with all of us here. Sure wish you were headed back here for deer season !....although Seth has established a death grip on the 1st rung of the aluminum ladder stand! :lol:
Posted Image

#15 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

Congrats on the nice lopes. Look like you had a great time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users