#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

My son just dropped by and brought me three books a friend of his gave him;
1) Outdoor Life Gun Data Book by F. Phillip Rice, Rifles . Shotguns . Handguns . Shooting . Amunition . Ballistics, Copyright 1975 ( 25 tables that give action, barrel length,weight,capacity,and other features of every domestic and imported rifle available at that time. 12 ballistic tables that give bullet weight, velocity,energy, and trajectory for every modern cartridge of that time,9 cartrige tables that gives recomended bullet weight, energy and other data for every kind of game, 8 tables of iron and telescopic sights that gives essential data on adjustment, field of view, retcules, eye relief, brightness. 7 tables on sighting and sighting in that give bullet impact, wind velocity, wind allowance, plus formulas for leads, 12 tables that give gauge, action, barrel,choke, weight, of every model of domestic and imported shotgun of that time.
2) Outdoor Life Complete Book of Shooting, Rifles . Shotguns . Handguns by Jack O'Connor and Roy Dunlap, Alex Kerr, Jeff Cooper, Copyright 1965 ( Covers all fundementals and fine points on positions,sight pictures,trajectory, shot placement, safety, data on shooters' eyes, recoil effect, changing point of impact, light, mirage and wind, truly expert shooting, women shooters)
3) Ken Waters' Pet Loads from Handloader Sixth Edition, Copyright 1978 which covers 182 calibers
Man I feel like a gold mine was dropped in my lap. Tons of valuable info in these three books. Any one familiar with any of them?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

Nope can't say I have seen any of them but sounds like some real good reading.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

Yep, what I think too. There is some seriously good info in them.

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:56 AM

I've seen the Ken Waters one. Sounds like you made a wonderful haul. How long do you think it will take to read them all? :lol:

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:49 PM

The way I read, not long :lol: But they'll keep me occupied a while I'd say.Lots of good stuff in them. :yes:

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

When we were cleaning out my father-in-law's gun room I came across a number of books written in the 30s 40' and 50s on benchrest shooting and shooting in general. When we decided to see if we could make bullets those became invaluable as I learned much from them. Of course I would be looking for the bullet making and find myself unable to put the books down. I even got plans to build a semi portable bench that I actually made and it works great. I even learned a whole lot about bench rest shooting and the pointers from the likes of Col Askins, Warren Page, Townsend Whelen and a whole host of others. And to think my father-inlaw actually knew most of them when he was a benchrest competitor.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

PRICELESS Pa. What else can ya say?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users