10 replies to this topic

#1 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

I had 2 of the Sims String Leeches installed on my Tribute. It is a great product and did the job I wanted it to do. The problem is that after 2 months of shooting they have both broken off. Is this a common thing or do you think maybe I just got a defective set?
Posted Image

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

The new ones have kevlar in them and are supposed to last longer. I hear they still wear out though.

I installed the STS instead and now have no need for string silencers. In fact the STS works better without silencers on there. Picked up some speed taking them off.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

String Leeches shooting off in a couple months... Par for the course. :peace:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

String Leeches shooting off in a couple months... Par for the course. :peace:

Kinda figured as much. I shoot every day that I'm not offshore, so I guess 2 months isn't to bad.

Leo, I tried the STS and really didn't see much of a difference. It may be because of the limb design on the bow.

Thanks for the responses. Guess I will be off to the bow shop tomorrow to have some more put on.

Edited by WayneBizzle, 17 October 2006 - 05:11 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

If you tried the STS with the string leeches on. You wouldn't notice a difference. Take them off and it will probably be a different story. ;)
Less stuff on your string the better the STS works.

Also it's worthwhile to adjust the distance between the STS plunger and the string. Some bows work better with a small gap and some with it pressing into it a little.
Posted Image

#6 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

Wayne I read this about the string silencers that bowtech puts on too. they all fall apart after so much shooting. The string leech for X bows by Sims are suppose to hold up better and can be used with compounds.

Personally I tried the STS on my Bowtech and did some help. I then tied on some cat whiskers after reading recommendation on how they work as good as if not better than the Bowtech type. I think they did some good and they say they don't slow your string down either. Plus you can tie them on yourself and they are real reasonably for the price. Just my .02 ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

Wayne I read this about the string silencers that bowtech puts on too. they all fall apart after so much shooting. The string leech for X bows by Sims are suppose to hold up better and can be used with compounds.

Personally I tried the STS on my Bowtech and did some help. I then tied on some cat whiskers after reading recommendation on how they work as good as if not better than the Bowtech type. I think they did some good and they say they don't slow your string down either. Plus you can tie them on yourself and they are real reasonably for the price. Just my .02 ;)

Thanks Rowdy. I saw those cat whiskers in a magazine and was very curious about them. The concerns I had about the STS were that the Tribute's limbs are listed as "beyond paralell". I was afraid of cracking a limb as this has been reported as happenning on this type of limb set-up.
Posted Image

#9 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:12 AM

I went back to cat whiskers. I got tired of buying string leeches and having to tie new ones in. I like them alot better personally. Now if I was sponsored by SVL they would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just like using C'mere Deer LOL!
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#10 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

I have used the string leeches as well and they shot off to. I now use the poor man's string leeches, I use two rubber bands tie them to the string and then cut the end of the rubber bands and presto you got cat whiskers, and yes they do silence the string.

MD

#11 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

I use cat whiskers on my bow, in fact I have 4 in total on my string. Really quieted my bow down a lot.
-Eric

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users