• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

As I posted in the deer topic I got a big old doe this morning. I was using my Knight bighorn with 80 gr of FFg real black powder and the 300 gr Hornady XTP bullet.

The shot was quite close (about 15 yds) at what I thought was a broadside doe. It turns out the shot hit her near shoulder and exited out her back leg on the other side. I either miss judged her angle or the bullet deflected off the shoulder blade. It did not immediately put her down but certainly put her in high gear overdrive.

I was very confused at the lack of blood at the site of the shot. Infact I walked 5 or 6 steps before I found anything other than tracks.

When I got to the deer which traveled over 100 yds in a circle around me dying about 60 yds away on my trail into the spot.

When I turned her over I found no exit hole on the far side. Then noticed blood at her back leg. When I skinned her out I found that the bullet entered the front shoulder but exited the flank hitting just a little of the front of the ham. What really confused me was the bullet had to travel all the way through the intestines but none were broken.
It also explained the lack of a great blood trail as I expected.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:09 PM

I am going to guess that because of the extreme close range of the shot, that bullet never got a chance to do anything but poke a hole through the deer. It might have defected as you said also.

Did the wound channel show any sign of expansion from the bullet? The XTP's are real game killers but I know how frustrating the lack of a blood trail can be.

The important thing is you were able to track the deer and recover the animal. Congratulations on the deer.

I was testing some of the different powders today because it was lightly snowing and I wanted to see if they would behave different. Over all the only powder not worth its salt was American Pioneer 3f. All shooting was off a bench rest at 70 yards.

Posted Image

I am going to be shooting 70 grains of Swiss 3f black powder and a 500 grain conical. I dare any venison to walk that close to me... :D
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

I was wrong. When I cut up the deer today I found that it did not hit the shoulder. That doe must have been much more frontal than I thought at the shot. It went through the rear of the shoulder muscle, one lung, and exited at the back of the flank and entered the rear leg where I found the bullet today. I'll clean it up and post a pic of a well mushroomed bullet.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

That'e excellent that you recovered the bullet. And you're saying it never hit any solid bone then as you know.. very interesting.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:32 AM

No that bullet did not hit a bone but still mushroomed rather nicely. I am very satisfied with it's performance.

#6 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:41 AM

The deer that I shot on Saturday was taken by a Traditions Buck Horn muzzle loader with a 3x9x40 Bushnell scope and the load was 100grs. of Pryodex RS powder with a 225 Power Belt bullet. this deer droped in its tracks, not one step and the bullet went clean thru.

MD

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:34 AM

The deer that I shot on Saturday was taken by a Traditions Buck Horn muzzle loader with a 3x9x40 Bushnell scope and the load was 100grs. of Pryodex RS powder with a 225 Power Belt bullet. this deer droped in its tracks, not one step and the bullet went clean thru.

MD

Congratulations on the deer MD. It's always nice to hear of someone having some luck. How far away was the deer from you when you shot? What kind of expansion did the powerbelt provide? Did you get complete pass through from the Powerbelt? Did it hit bone on the way through? And was it a buck or doe?

We love a good deer hunting story around here. It's that time of year again. In fact I am training myself to get up early and become active. The one problem wiht retirement is the clock becomes very unimportant when it comes time for bed, and I find myself getting into bad habits of sleeping too late into the mornings. :D

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

cayugad, see my complete story in the Deer forum, under I finally did it. I posted pictures and story there.

I sorta know what you mean about getting bad habits when you are retired. I find myself going to bed late and sleeping in late, but when I know I want to go hunting I force my self to go to bed early and get up when the alarm goes off. Good luck with you hunting this year too.

The shot was around 45 yards or so, and it was a complete pass thru.

MD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users