Elk Hunting

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:04 AM

Alright Ya'll i'm a newbie, and i'm gonna do everything in my power to be at E3, i just want to get a little advice from seasoned Elk chasers... on calling, and tracking elk, and i would imagine anyone who is thinking about hunting elk for the first time would benefit from any advice ya'll could disperse.

Jere, if'n it ain't too much trouble could you pin this one? Maybe like an online Elk Hunting Guide. :D
Semper Fi

#2 HUNT

HUNT

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:29 PM

Get the elknut dvds they are the best down to earth elk calling learning tools made. elknut.com
HUNT SAFE & SMART

Put one in the engine room

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

Elk hunting can be relatively easy or tremendously challenging, escpecially for a 1st time hunter. Most of my elk have came pretty easy and all but 2 bulls were taken on a general tag on public land.

My 1st elk hunt took 45 minutes in the mountains and a 309BC 6x6 to show for it. The next year 30 minutes and a 5x5 on the ground.

I absolutely admit luck and location were the primary factors besides getting into the timber and giving it my all and I had no idea how to hunt elk.

You can watch all the videos in the world and it will only help so much, your senses tend to get overwhelmed by the sights, smells and overall experience of being in the mountains on an elk hunt.

Do what ya can to keep ya calm and prepare to be pulled into a wonderfull hunt at E3. It is addictive! A trial and error approach, open mind and pair w/ someone who has been there and done that. It will be worth it's weight in gold.

It would be extremelly diffucult to put a hunting elk 101 in writing and it be productive, that is just too many variables involved.

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

After emailing back and forth with Elknut (He can be found on www.huntingnet.com forum), I picked up a 3 disc package and they are definitely worth watching for the calling techniques he uses and he does it on public land so it relates to my type of hunting. I'd have to agree with BC34 though as it's a combo of being in the right place at the right time along with trial and error. Getting one with the bow is definitely challenging but the whole experience is worth it regardless of getting an elk. Don't get me wrong, I love elk meat and would love to zip an arrow into one but I realize it's a learning experience so someday that will come. I've taken 2 bulls with rifle but this arrow slinging deal has got me fired up!!!

#5 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

Terry,

My advise: Expect nothing, but be prepared to hunt the hardest hunt you'll ever be on! Elk , as Marty stated, come hard or easy. I have found they come easier when you are hard...especially on yourself. I'll need to be in good shape to push yourself over the next hill, down into that steep valley, etc. For me, the more distance I travel, the higher my success rate. I simply do not let the elk rest! I generally stay quiet and let them do all the talking. I hone in on them, close the gap, and strike when I can with a precise shot. Trust me, If you can walk the walk, you'll be talking the talk! And Yep, It's additive...worse than whitetail!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:51 AM

Huck, you're gonna be in camp through the week during E3 aren't you? :evil: I have been hitting the gym and will be hitting it harder pretty soon, LOL you might not be able to keep up with me by then LOL less you forget i'm from the south, so i'm dealing with high humidity all summer LOL and i aclimatize pretty quickly... i should be rearin to go by the morning after i get there... :D
Semper Fi

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:22 AM

ahhh the sound of youth... :)

Terry: I have 20 years on ya.... but in my job I am running stairs daily going up to condo/s its not uncommon for us to put on miles in one day... I live at 10,000 ft elevation...year round...and I am aclimated to being here.

I've tried to keep up with Huck..... :rofl:

in other words....I want to be there when your lungs are on fire and your lunch is passing your eyes :doh: ...he'll take you on a mtn goat hike that you'll never forget. B)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

Lol...... :D
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#9 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

I will second that.

I workout 4x a week, live at 7300 ft and spend about 60 days a year in the mountains and still elk hunting can tear ya up quickly.

To get into better shape for elk hunting if your at sea level you could tie a belt as tight as you can get it around your chest and run a mile, that is what it will be like walking a mile in the high country.

Note: Don't try that, i don't want any calls from wives on dead husbands, :no: but it would be similiar on how your lungs are gonna feel.

Fatty

Prostaff.jpg

#10 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:23 AM

Forcing myself to get ready last year was awesome. I went from 183 lbs down to 160 before leaving for Elkatraz. Came home at 158....LOVED every moment in & out of camp! Hardest part was trying to move quietly through the "Jack in the Box" timber during the midday hours when the elk weren't moving . Still got a hike left in me to give er another try someday!

Edited by Phil, 07 April 2006 - 11:24 AM.

Posted Image

#11 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:43 PM

The biggest mistake that new people into the elk hunting make is calling too often. If you get a reply from your call call again. I will call a couple of times and then wait for 10 minutes and then let er rip again. I found that the hardest part of elk hunting was getting the critter out of the sticks after the deed is done. My advice, make sure that you take lots of help with you, as I haven't been able to convince one to climb into the back of my truck for me. Good luck to all!

#12 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

Hmmmm so i've stuck the old size 10 in my mouth? hmmm we'll see, hehehe i still think this is gonna be fun... IF i get to go... i may be changing jobs soon, and then, there goes my vacation time.. LOL i was saving up money to go, and had it planned out, but now that the Post Office sent me the info about the test on April 20th, i'm not 100% sure i'm gonna be at my current job when Sept, gets here.... can't pass up the $$$$ but it's gonna hurt not getting to go to E3 in Sept. but the Good Lord knows what he's doing giving me this chance, and if he sees fit to let me get this job, it will help me out alot.
Semper Fi

#13 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

"To get into better shape for elk hunting if your at sea level you could tie a belt as tight as you can get it around your chest and run a mile, that is what it will be like walking a mile in the high country."

Bonecollector- I think you forgot the part about taping one nostril shut and running that mile on a steep incline. Then your getting close :D . At least it was that tough for this flatlander.

#14 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

True and then throw 30lbs of gadgets in a pack and wear that.

Best advise start early, never too early.

Fatty ;)

Prostaff.jpg

#15 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:18 AM

Well fatty, it ain't been that long since i carried an average of about 100 lbs in a very uncomfortable back, with a 25lb gun strapped across my shoulders LOL and i only weighed about 135 then.. LOL I've put on a lil weight, some good some bad, LOL still no idea on the Post office job, but i did get a $.50/hr raise at my current job...
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users