• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

This past weekend, I joined 9 other hunters for Colorado's second combined deer/elk season. With rifles in hand, we made a return trip to the site of E3. As of yesterday, when I left, three bulls were on the ground (2-6x6's and 1-4x5). Everyone in camp had seen an elk.

On Saturday, I spied three cows right out of the shoot. I had them at eighty yards. The crosshairs of 'Ol Reliable were rock solid on the lead cow. I could have dropped her in her track had I the proper tag. Later in the day I walked up on a bedded cow. I watch her from 15 feet away. Nearly five minutes went by before she knew I was there.

On Sunday, I was approached by a young spike bull. I did everything in my power to make him legal. It just wasn't going to be. He walked past me less than 15 yards. He was followed by a cow. I spent the remainder of the day chasing a bull. I caught a glimps of him as he sped up the mountain side. After many hours of pursuit, I finally tossed in the towel. He was too much bull for this mountain goat.

I encountered an aspen grove that had nearly 200 beds scatterd here and there. I not sure if 50 animals bedded down 4 times or what, but it sure gave me a good indication that plenty of elk were in the area.

I keep learning more and more about unit 45. It won't be long before we start knock our own down there. :yes:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:33 AM

Now that's a great scouting for E4 Huck. Sorry you didn't connect on your hunt but does it ever sound like fun to me closing the distance like you did. :shifty:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

Thats some great hunting Will. Close encounters for sure. Tom my brother in law is heading up to elk mountain for the 3rd season. He is going with some ol pros and hopes to finally get some meat.

Steve

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

Huck did that cow have four legs, fur all over her body, a head on one end and a tail on the other? If so that was to be my cow sure glad to hear she is still going. Maybe in a year or so I'll have another chance at her.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

She sure did Paul.

I got into them hard between No Name Road and Homestake Road. On Saturday, I crossed the river three times and worked my way uphill (Yes Sugar Pants, I did get my boots and pants wet. No crying, no whining, it's just part of hunting). On Sunday. I dropped down into them from No Name.

I was a grand time just being out there! I'm really starting to re think how I hunt that area. I keep learning more and more...
Posted Image

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

See Will, I knew dropping over No-Name to Homestake was the way to go. Just found that out way to late in the game. If Terry had of gotten lost earlier in the week maybe we would have scored, lol.

As for wet boots, I believe any branch of the US Military will demote you one full rank for walking any distance in wet boots. They believe your feet are more important then any other part of your marching anatomy. I agree with them. I feel you can always come up with a way to get around water or cover your boots in a way that will not get your feet soaked. Having grown up and hunted most of my life in one of the wettest environment on the planet I KNOW it can be done.

Sweet Pants, NOT!!! Smart woodsman, YES!!!! Next time I spike camp in comfort and my feet are dry I'll have a toast of coffee to your wet feet, Will.

:)
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#7 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

Oh no Charles, I'm not gonna let you go there. We all earn our trail names. "Scooby" earned his and you earned yours. "Sugar Pants" suites you just fine. :D :o) :rofl: Next time I'm feild dressing an elk, I'll be thinking of your dry feet in spike camp... Love ya man! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, another place to look next year! It just keeps getting better!

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 24 October 2006 - 10:52 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:58 AM

Since you earned your trail name in africa when you stepped in front of your rifle toting guide to shoot the Loin with your bow it is not completely understood (something about lack of understanding and being way too excited to understand the danger). I'm sure they'll tell your story for years, lol.

Just glad they didn't have to chase her down to send what as left back to us in a body bag. If that had happened I wouldn't get to rib you about it. You'd have been stuck to her ribs, lol.

We'll just go with Gun Ho!!! or Blind Desire!!!

:)
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

Huck I peered down into that abyss from on top out by the clearcut. The elk are there because most don't want to tackle the steepness of the slope. If I get back there one day you can bet your wet booties I'll be checking out that PA looking hill. Mdturbo finally told mewhere his honey hole spot is and that is a place we never looked. Eric and I both walked up to the meadow on top which goes down the other side but did not see any animal activity anywhere up there. The only place we encountered sign was the side facing homestake and the bowl beyond no name road.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Sugar,

Pain is just a mental thing that can be blocked from our minds. The Navy Seals do it all the time. I want you to talk to one of these guys. Ask him if he stops when his boots get wet. Ask him if he stops when he faces danger. Chances are, he'll tell you he does whatever it takes to get the job done. He doesn't stop to think about it. His training, mind set, and desire helps him prevail. He's always in the zone! He is surely cut from a different fabric. He became hardened because someone pushed him (like I push you). They told him he couldn't do it. He proved them wrong.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I was told I couldn't (or shouldn't) kill a lion with a bow. I trained hard for that moment and when it was upon me, I was in my own zone. Wait until you see the video. You'll see, there was no blind desire whatsoever. Practice made perfect...

As for the guide...His new trail name is "pants wetter". lol

Paul,

I am definitely rethinking how we should hunt that area. The walk down to Homestake creek was actually pretty darn easy. It won't be long before we all connect the dots.

Oh by the way, the boyz from New York got another 6x6 on Monday. SAme Place
Posted Image

#11 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

Go get'em Huckleberry!!!

;)

HL&S

#12 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

:lol: ..I got a few laughs off this thread! :lol: ...was wondering though..sugar pants??? :blink: ..uhh, on second thought, ..I don't want to know!!

#13 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:03 AM

what happens in elk camp stays in elk camp :lol: B)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#14 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/uclickcomics/...l_uc/bl20061017

Reminds me of someone I hafta sleep with! B)
Posted Image

#15 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:51 PM

see, I just KNEW rifle hunting was waymobetta...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users