14 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

I took this Grouse at 15 yards with my new AR34 shooting a 32 inch Carbon Express Hunter Supreme tipped with a 100 grain 3 fixed blade Muzzy. I was standing in a tight group of jack pine saplings and shot through an opening in the brush no bigger then 4 inches tall and wide. There were about 8 or 10 other birds in the group. They never knew I was there as I had been still hunting my way through the area. This was the biggest in the group.

Posted Image

Yes, I hit her in the neck. Exactly where I was aiming. The other ruffled feathers are from her flapping her wings while she expired.

Edited by Charles, 23 October 2006 - 07:13 PM.

5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

As I recall she tasted pretty good too. We need to call you deadeye as one of your eyes must be dead because you thought it was an elk :o) :o)
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:38 PM

Someone had to shoot something!!!!!!
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

Nice shot Charles. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:11 AM

Poor little birdie...

make note... super glue grouse over vitals of bull elk for Charles
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

Bruce, you get close enough to glue one of the bad boys on an Elk you give me a call. I'd like to see that, lol.

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:52 PM

Oh the elusive grouse :rofl:

We hit em with rocks in the high country, so we don't waste arrows.

They make good camp lunches and are dumb as the rocks.

Where I hunt elk and mule deer, it is not uncommon to see 30 of these a day.

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#8 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

Charles, who r u kidding that poor grouse prbly died of a heart attack at that close of a distance. :lol: :lol:

way to go bud............ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#9 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:03 PM

Oh, Fatty. Some day I'll be as good as you are, lol.

#10 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:23 AM

;) Little overkill there, ;) but if it works............ Great shot, ....................but that don't look like any elk that I ever seen before. Are you going to stuff it? :rofl:

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:29 AM

Geez Charles,

U may be as good or better then me now. That wouldn't be hard to beat.

I am a old washed up disabled hunter, just trying to get out as see some of Gods country between surguries.

Just don't be afraid to get your feet wet and post some of the photos of these great hunts you've gone on.

"been there, done that" right?

Fatty ;)

Edited by bonecollector34, 08 November 2006 - 10:58 AM.

Prostaff.jpg

#12 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:31 AM

Chaz could you post the recipe for the way you cooked that grouse? it was good and i think the seasonings and such would taste pretty good if i manage to take out a goose this year for Christmas dinner :D
Semper Fi

#13 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:11 PM

Sure Scooby...

First, in a fry pan over medium heat brown 2 or 3 cloves of crushed garlic in butter. Clarified if possible (I used Country Crock Margarine and shake garlic in camp). Then, braze the meat on both sides. After the meat browns on both sides and starts to run blood take it off the fire and place in a dish. Deglaze the fry pan with a little more butter and about half cup of water. Add any fresh herbs you like now (be careful to tear the fresh herbs never cut them with a knife). I'd go with Thyme, Basil and a touch of Oregano and a little Fennel seed; salt and pepper to taste (use very little salt as it makes the meat tough). If you like spicy add one half a ground cyan pepper (don't over power the flavor of the bird with the spices though). As the water starts to cook off add one to two cups of fresh squeezed Orange juice (I used Sunny D in camp). Return meat to the fry pan with all juices from the dish, cover and simmer until meat runs clear when poked with a fork, no longer. Slice into small fingers and enjoy. Use the remaining sauce as a dip or cover. You could place the fingers on a bed of rice pilaf before you cover them with the sauce.

I?d go with fresh greens like Broccoli or wilted leaf spinach (not dark green mushy spinach) as a veggie. I'd also add a few orange peel shavings on top of the meat with a parsley sprig on the side as garnish.

As for a Starch I?d go with the rice pilaf. It?s flavorful and almost everyone likes it (in short it?s safe). Tates are always safe as well. I would serve a white wine say a late '90's or early 2000 (say '01 or '02) Chardonnay or Riesling with this dish. Do not cut the fingers too big as wild game (or any other meat) can be stringy and should always be cut thin and against the grain of the meat.

Hope that helps Terry.

Edited by Charles, 14 November 2006 - 07:20 PM.

#14 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:31 PM

Marty,

Just pokin' fun, Man. No worries man.

I have never said I don't get my boots wet (ask my son). It's when a guy KNOWS he's going to get you over the top of your knees wet in a Beaver Marsh and doesn't tell you BEFORE HAND so you can do something about it like dawn your waders that I get a little testy. Yes, Will I had waders (contractor garbage bags) already to go if you had said, well, anything about what we were about to do. I would say that almost anyone here would have felt the same way. Enough said.

Be perpared is more then the Boy Scout motto.

#15 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

I also am pokin' fun Charles.

Marty

Edited by bonecollector34, 14 November 2006 - 10:37 PM.

Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users