8 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

In some tests shooting a Knight Disk Exstreme, 25 1/2" barrel, 1:28 twist, a CVA Optima Pro 209, 27 1/2" barrel, 1:28 twist, a Winchester Apex Magnum 209, 29 1/2" barrel, 1:28 twist, and a T/C Omega, 26 1/2" barrel, 1:28 twist and using the PRC 240 gr, the Power Belt 250 gr, the Winchester Partition Gold 260 gr, the Buffalo Bullet 325 gr and the Power Belt 350 gr in each rifle....the Buffalo Bullets out performed the others considerably. I believe the rifles were all .50 cal but I didn't get the powder charges though they were the same in each rifle. The shots were all at 100 yards. Too lengthy to print all the ballistics but the shot groups with the Buffalo Bullets put the others to shame and very much so. In one case the Buffalo Bullet vrs. Power Belt the group with the Buffalo Bullets was a whole 4" tighter. I might add that the test was to test the rifles as much as the bullets and was done independantly of the manufacturers. So Paul and Cayugad, have you guys tried the Buffalo Bullets and if so how did they perform for you? I'm very interested in giving them a try.

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 October 2006 - 09:56 AM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

If you mean Buffalo Ball-ets yes I have tried them. They seemed to fit too loose in my Knight and RMC Accusporter. Both these are green mt barrels and I didn't get what I expected in the accuracy dept. They seemed to work best for me in a 1:48 twist flintlock.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

Paul, the article I was reading had it listed as Buffalo Bullet 325 grain. I read it in a magazine at Heart Rehab so Monday I'll look back through the article. The stats for it looked pretty impressive.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

the 325 grain is a flat based conical commonly shot in .45 caliber rifles in twists of 1-48 or faster. I personally never shot them.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

If it is something other than the ball-ets I hve not shot them either. Do they resemble the r.e.a.l bullets?

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:43 PM

Paul, I'll let you know more after I look through the magazine again. I go to rehab tomorrow so I'll see what's in the article.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

Paul, the article doesn't show a pic of the bullets. Wish it did. Cayugad, all the rifles were .50 cal. Each shot was at 100 yards using two 50 grain pellets of Triple 7 and 5 shots were fired per rifle per bullet type. Another bullet mentioned, but not tested unless it was the PRC, was the saboted lead polymer tipped Dead Center bullets that range in weights from 175 to 340 grains They are specifcally designed for in-line bores and are said to have the highest ballistic coefficient of any muzzleloader bullet made. You can check them out at www.prbullet.com.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

I spent a couple hours searching the internet. The one thing I learned is that Buffalo Bullet Co does not have a website. I got so interested reading Randy Wakemans website I nearly forgot to come back Lol. I did read an interview of the owner of Buffalo Bullets done by Randy Wakeman and the description of the Buffalo Bullet leads me to believe it is at least remotely similar to the R.E.A.L. bullet in that it has a groove at the back and one at the front that engages the rifling. I'll have to look over at the local shop and see if they have any.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

Seems I've started you on a quest Grasshopper. :lol: At least it's an interesting one. ;) I too am looking for them. I'm gonna check Bass Pro.

Edited by Spirithawk, 30 October 2006 - 07:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users