runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

ME! I shot my first deer today. Here's how the story goes:

We start out to my uncle's farm at about 5:45 and we go to my dad's friend's land to sit for a couple hours. We see nothing but birds and a doe about 200 yards away going into an unpicked corn field. As most of you know 200 yards with a slug is nearly impossible. So we pack up to go have a little breakfast.

When we return after eating we go to my uncle's house to visit. My uncle's neighbors come by to see how we were doing. After we visit awhile they tell us that they might try a couple drives later on in the day and they ask if we would like to come with. We say yes because 5 guns are better than two.

We go on our first drive in a little two acre woodlot next to the house. It may sound crazy that deer would be in a woodlot about 1,000 feet from a operational farm but around here deer have no fear at all of tractors and combines. My dad, one of the neighbors, and I, post the north end of the lot while the other two walk in from the south. Nothing came out of their so no shots were fired.

Now comes the most exciting part of the day. After we get done with the first drive we go back inside to have a cup of coffee and pop ( you can tell we don't hunt that hard). Then we go to another woodland that my uncle owns. To give you more pespective where we all were during this I want you to imagine woods and your facing it from a road that turns left on the right side of the woods. Two guys of our party walked the woods from the road just like described earlier. My dad and another person are on the left of the guys walking the woods and I am across the road posting the field directly behind the woods.

The doe runs out of the woods and runs directly into my dad and he shoots twice and misses. He then motions to me that somethings coming to me so be ready. The does crosses the road and sees me. She instantly does a little juke to get away from me and starts running broadside. I have a perfect shot. I shoot and she goes down in an instant. I think wow I am a good shot, 50 yards away right in the sweet spot. I don't want to run up to her because most likely she is not dead yet and more importantly the drive is still going on. When the drivers are 3/4 of the way through the woods I look over to the deer and her head is sticking straight up looking around. My heart sank. And this is after I was positive I had made a perfect shot and she was down for the count. She tried to get up and run but she couldn't. I knew I had to take her out now. I drop down to one knee and take careful aim right behind the shoulder. I shoot. I see dirt fly up right below where she is lying.It's a miss. I knew I couldn't fool around. This deer was very badly injured. I quickly put the gun on safe and run up to within 10 feet of her. This time I wasn't going to miss. I took her out instantly.

When I regrouped and caught my breath and the rest of the party came over and did the traditional good job and handshaking we went over to look at the deer. It turns out I had totally missed and shot her in the hind quarters, breaking both of her hips. I wish I would have waited for a standing shot. I know it was my mistake and bad judgement. I am dissapointed that it couldn't have been a clean kill.

I gutted her myself and the good thing was that the truck was only about 100 yards away.

Here are some bad pictures after we brought her back to the farm to hang after getting it regisered.
Here I am with the deer: (two pictures)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hunting party:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for reading
Run
-Eric

#2 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:30 PM

congrats :hunter: :boone: :thumbsup:

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:02 AM

Thats great to hear you got your first deer! Congratulations! I still remember my first deer as vivid as if it happened yesterday instead of 6 yrs ago.

#4 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:08 AM

congrats on such a great doe run...and even tho you think it was a bad shot you have meat in the freezer and a used tag...those deer are not that easy to hit running...good job....the first of many in your life...keep enjoying it bud... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:16 AM

Congrats on your deer! :clap: :thumbsup:

#6 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:24 AM

:thumbsup: Congrats to you run. Way to go. Thanks for the great pics. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:37 AM

Congrats Run',
Every hunter has made a less than perfect shot so don't beat yourself up. You quickly finished putting her down and learned something too boot. A HUGE congrats on your 1st deer....and you got to share the hunt with dad & friends !
Posted Image

#8 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

Well! Just look at who got his first deer! Congrats Eric, you know Patsy and I are on your side. Like Phil says, not every shot is perfect but you did the right thing and that is important! You learned from your experience and sharing it with your Dad and friends is a bonus! Congrats little buddy! :thumbsup:

Edited by Woody, 05 November 2006 - 05:38 PM.

Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#9 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Good job Eric.........did ya get DOE FEVER?
I know I still do over 25 years after my first one.
When I know I'm about to take an animal, buck or doe, I still get the "fever"
Love that feeling!

#10 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

:clap: Way to go little E. :yes:

Now you and I have something in common, we both have killed a deer
at the ripe OLD age of 12. :D B)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

:yes: :clap: :clap: :hunter: :thumbsup:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

Congrats little bud. Ya did good. You'll remember that doe, and hunt, the rest of your life. :thumbsup: :D

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

Wow your first deer. Congratulations and don't worry about it needing a second shot. Most all of us here have had to dispatch one or two in our lifetime. You done real good. Exciting wasen't it. :D
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#14 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:41 PM

I can't believe now that I actually shot a deer. It's only been a day and it already seems like I shot the doe a week ago :eek:

Today the only thing we got was a button buck that my uncle thought was a doe last night and shot it. We didn't find any blood so we just packed it in and looked today and found him, not 10 yards from where we gave up on the search for him.

So the total ended up as 3 deer-two does and 1 buck- out of our 5 person party.
At about 12:30 today we decided to butcher them then because the rest of the day was getting and warmer and tommorrow is supposed to be in the 60's. Not good for deer.

Now the guys I was hunting with tell me about the rituals of getting the first deer of the season. I have to buy them all dinner, fill their trucks with gas, and pay for the prossecing fees. Anybody need a somewhat skilled youth?:rofl:

Thanks for all the compliments!
Run
-Eric

#15 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

Way to go on your first deer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic