3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

I decided to get the Flintlocks all ready and wanted to see if the damp drizzle day would make a serious difference. I set the target up at 50 yards, loaded up and took a free hand standing shot. Actually I was not all that displeased with it, but felt I should have done better.

Then #1 group was shot and I realized it was not hitting where it normally does. It had to be the dampness or the temperature. I then decided to see what would happen if I adjusted my POI.

#2 was two shots that I adjusted my POI. I actually aimed at the 7 o'clock off the bull in order to slide them into the bull like that.

I then got out the shooting sticks and shot some of that, and finally did some tree leaning to see how that would work. All of it is fine, but a rifle that normally shot dead on was shooting high and to the right today. I know it was not dropped, so I will try and shoot it again on a dry day and see if the dampness was the factor.

On a damp day, keep your flint real sharp and your powder dry.... :D

have the rest of you been doing any field shooting to get ready?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

I have to get my accusporter out for a few sessions. I caught a cold week before last and just did not feel up to any kind of shooting last week. On Sunday My 88 yr old mom said her shower was not working. I spent all yesterday taking what she had apart, soldering a shutoff valve into the line, and looking for either repair parts or a new setup. Man I nearly struck out on both counts without a major rearrangement of everything. Today I put the old one back together and by the time I finished it was raining. I just can't win some days.

Good shooting with that flinter.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

I intentionally wanted to shoot the flintlock today. It was one of those days that you could feel the "mist (for a better word) " coming down, but it was not really raining. I figured it would be a real good test to see if I could settle my flintlock down and make it shoot.

I was kind of surprised when the first shot hit high like that. Normally this rifle is right on. All I can guess is it had to be the moisture in the air. Good luck with your rifle and your plumbing project.... :D
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

I hunted hard all day, with no good news to tell.. I never saw a deer. I did see lots of squirrels, birds, a male & female pileated wood pecker, one ruffed grouse but nothing to shoot at. Since it was snowing I had my hopes up, but that's why its called hunting and not shooting... Good luck to everyone hunting this year and most important, stay safe...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users