Follow Through..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:36 AM

Well all, i thought a discussion on follow through might help out anyone new to archery...

Follow through is holding the bow in position until the arrow makes an impact, so that you do not "drop the shot" which means you don't hit lower than anticipated because you relax your bow arm (the arm that is holding the grip on the bow) too soon after the shot. I had this problem when i first started shooting, and it messed with me quite a bit.. So the new archers remember hold your form until you hear the arrow impact the target. THEN you can relax your bow arm.
Semper Fi

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:11 AM

Now this sounds like quit a bit of holding but in less then a blink of an eye or a second that arrow has made its impact on the target from 20 yard shot.

In MHO it's better to remember to keep your concentration and keep looking at the target point before and after the shot as well. If the shot is truely a surprise release both of your arms will move upon release of the arrow. AND you want to be somewhat surprised by the release of the arrow. Your release arm will go backwards and your bow arm will move slightly forwards and down because it should have been relaxed before the shot. This also depends on your draw length being the correct length. A relaxed bow arm helps remove hand torque during the shot. Follow through is the follow up to a good release of the arrow while concentrating on the target. My .02. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users