5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

Hey Paul. I finally got to shoot my Knight MK-85 today. The load was a MMP Sabot with a 310 grain copper jacket, lead nose Nossler Bullet and 100 grains of the Pioneer Powder you gave me. I'm in love, the 54 cal speaks with authority! Thanks for the powder. The sabots are a little tough to get started but then slide down the barrel fairly easy. The barrel seems to be tighter the first couple inches. Is that normal I wonder? Anyways it's one sweet shooter. :yes:

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

A lot of rifles seem to be tighter as the projectile first moves into the muzzle and then down the barrel. I have always wondered perhaps, if when the sabot first starts, it contacts the rifling in the barrel. As you push downward the sabot movesagainst the rifling actuially. Then it eventually starts to spin with the rifling. That's when you believe it is moving easier, only because you are no longer fighting the rifling. Does this make any sense.

The same with conicals. People say, well they load hard, but once you get them started they go down real easy. This is the conical actually engaging the rifling and starting to spin.

This is just my opinion. Take it for what its worth. Glad to hear the rifle is a good shooter. Most MK-85 were known for their accuracy and down range thump. They were the thing that really set muzzleloaders on their ear. :D
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

Sure glad that APP powder works for you in my 50 cal sidelock percussion I didn't fair as well.

I agree with cayugad on the loading question. In my 50 cal I have switched to the Harvester crush rib sabot and am very well pleased with 45 cal bullets in these sabots. With these I can start them most times with my thumb albeit leaving an impression on that digit but I feel they load just about right with just the right amount of resistance all the way down. I certainly am pleased with the way they open and the accuracy I get using them. I most always shoot, swab, look for the sabot, look it over, go check the target and reload.

When I look at the sabot I check that the rifling marks are sharp. This tells me I have a good grip of the sabot in the rifling and am not pushing it too hard.

I was going to get my 50 cal flintlock with the 1 in 28 twist barrel out today but it never quit raining.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 08 November 2006 - 07:25 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

Thanks guys. I also noticed the muzzle end seemed tighter when running a cleaning patch through the barrel too. What you said makes sense though. i think the MK-85 is a keeper for sure and am really looking forward to hunting with it. Jason and I took a ride on the 4 wheeler today and checked out where we hunt. Man there were some deep heavy tracks and some pretty impressive rubs along the ridge where I have my stand. Saturday hurry up and get here :lol: .

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

Spirithawk now you stay on your meds and don't get all excited. That being said I usually feel the same way too just before season. Our rifle season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving so it is a few weeks away. Then our Flintlock season opens the day after Christmas.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

Paul, Jason called me a few minutes ago, about 11pm. He said there was a pretty nice 8pt chasing a doe around the parking lot where he works. :lol: Will keep ya posted how I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users