29 replies to this topic

#16 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

I'd give it a shot if my wife would let me, but she's to worried about what the neighbors would think as I'm cutting it up on my deck.

#17 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:11 AM

whitetiger, my wife is worried about the smell and if i do something wrong which might make us sick. I'm trying to explain to her it"s not that bad.

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#18 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

A friend of mine used to process deer and used Run's method.
Many times someone would bring an unskinned deer to him that was frozen stiff as a board.
He would cut around the bottom of the legs and slit up the legs.
He would hang the deer head up and cut around the neck and skin just enough to have enough to tie off like Run's. He also slit the neck down to the brisket He used a small rock instead of a golf ball.
He then tied off the rope to the front of his 4wd truck and slowly backed up. By hooking to the front of the truck he could see how things were going and knew when to stop etc.

Hey another use for those hooks on the front of the pickup other than pulling fords out of the ditch LOL.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#19 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

I donate it to needy familes in the commumity

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#20 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:18 AM

i tke mine to the local processor..they only charge 58 bucks and they do a real great job.....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#21 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

I CANT REMEMBER...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#22 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

We always process ours and it's not that hard to do. It would be my quess that the party that I hunt with will avarge about 7 deer a year so we get plenty of practice. Finding beef fat to add to the deer burger is getting harder though. Last year the little doe that I shot was ground for burger the whole thing and it was very good.
MR300WM

#23 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

Charlie, PA gun opens next Monday, come on in and you can "REMEMBER" again!!! ;)

#24 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

I'm about 50 - 50. I do some of my own, but I do debone everything before it goes to the sausage maker. His sausage is so good I can't resist.
Posted Image

#25 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

I have a friend who cuts meat for a local super market, he process deer and elk on the side I scratch his back here at the dealership so in turn he scratches mine when we take him an animal (scratching the back is just a term dont everyone jump to conclustions :rofl: :rofl: )

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#26 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

Whitetiger, tell her not to worry about the neighbors as you would be cutting it up in the kitchen.......:):):);)

#27 WRBH

WRBH

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:hunting,trapping,fishing,camping and life in general

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

I do. Since I worked in a game room cutting up meat for two years in Idaho I am technically the 8th generation in my family to do so. Like cutting my own deer up that way I get what I want, and can make sure the meat is completly clean.

#28 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

I definitely do my own. It helps when you own a commercial kitchen :lol: ..with an 80 qt. Hobart mixer with grinder attachments(it stands 5 ft tall). I have taken meat in to certain processors for certain jobs when time is tight. If someone does my meat-I wait till spring or summer(I don't want my meat processed with someone elses mixed in!!) when it is slower and no-one else is getting any processed. I will have dry sausage made or peperoni stix. I fabricate my own deer as far as breaking it down , producing favorite cuts. Make my own fresh or smoked sausage, hamburger meat. I kill 5-10 whitetail a season between my Texas tags(5) and MLD permits.-I couldn't afford to have it all done at about $200-$300 a deer !!

#29 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

Usually takes Casey and I an hour to skin and bone one out. We rinse it twice from one cooler to another, then pack it in ice in a 40qt cooler with 1/2 gal vinegar. The next day we drain that off and repack in ice.

I usually do a little each evening as I get time. It'll keep for a week easy that way. I cut and butterfly the backstraps and pull two to four roasts off the rump; the rest is burger.

You can buy a motorized grinder to grind hamburger - it's easy - no way to get it wrong. I also bought a vacuum packer - excellent way to go. Little tip: cut about 3" of paper towel, fold it and place it inside the end of the vacuum bag before pulling the vacuum. That keeps any liquid away from the heat seal and you always get a good seal. I also double seal both ends just to be sure. Plus the white area under the vacuum bag shows up nice for writing the date and type of meat with a sharpie. ;)
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#30 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

Charlie, PA gun opens next Monday, come on in and you can "REMEMBER" again!!! ;)

I sure hope he remembers by opening day, if not he can leave it at my place and I promise to make room in my chest freezer for it for my wife and I and unborn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users