• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:47 PM

:huh: hey guys, i am going to tote my 30-30 this coming week when i hunt with my daughter. i shot it today at 100 yards and i fired two three shot groups with winchester 170 power-points the groups were about three inches high and the best group was about at 2.5 inches and that was with a hot barrel. the cold bore first three were more about 4 inches. it seems i can never get the the lever guns to group very tight. is this normal from your findings? i love this little marlin, it feels more at home in the deer woods with me than anything i own.should i be content with this group or can/should i tweak some more. i just want to kill deer.

thanks,
Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:49 PM

Next season try 150 grain bullets. It sure helped my Winchester 94 out.
Posted Image

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:28 PM

Try the new Leverevolution 160gr ammo. It's made for tube mag lever rifles and will probably shrink your groups to one inch off the bench.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

Definately try some different ammo. I have never had a bad marlin, and I have had better than a dozen of them. How dirty is your bore? :D

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

I'd definitly check that the rifleing isn't fouled and leaded up. Also like the others said, I'd try some diferant ammo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users