• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:32 AM

Always curious about things. I got started bow hunting after a friend started. I use to take him out and pick out stands for him because I loved to deer hunt. After he was successful a few times and seeing how excited I was for him, he suggested I give it a whirl. I thought why not, and seeing as how a guy could hunt them for 3 months instead of just a 9 day gun season, it seemed like a good idea. Little did I know that it would turn into an obsession. Now, getting up close and personal just seems more challanging, more exciting, just more FUN!

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

Great question Jeff.

My passion didn't come from anyone directly. No one in the family has ever took up the bow. It lay dormant for a long long long time for me because no one I knew was into hunting, archery and bowhunting. Fishing was my passion all the while and much easier to get into. When I was a kid I kept trying to make my own bows and arrows and that was in the late fifties. They worked fine on small game like rabbits. Needless to say bowhunting was pretty hard to find anything on then in the fifties. I got away from it in the 60's and 70's. In the 80's I picked up a compound bow months after I injuryed my left shoulder and couldn't draw it without causing some pain so I stayed away thru the 90's. I picked it back up in late 2003 when cruising eBay one day and saw auctions for a Martin bow setups. I got it home and it took me months to shoot it properly. I had to teach myself because I couldn't find anyone around Columbus that taught archery. I'm self taught and try to shoot everyday at least a dozen arrows. I have turned into a passion and a challenge to hunt with it and truely a need to keep it up.

Up close and personal is the only way for me. I own guns but I personally don't prefer to hunt with them. I consider myself a bowhunter. :yes:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 29 November 2006 - 12:36 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

One of my non hunting friends had a browning bow laying around that he didnt know how to use. so he gave it to me to use as long as I taught him. he didnt have anything on it, not even a rest. no wonder he couldnt hit a barn. so I helped him set it up then bought a bow of my own so we can shoot together. now he's a good shot when he remembers his form and not to rush.

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

I don't really agree with peer presure, but everyone else was already doing it :P Actually it looked like fun and its a more challenging way to extend the season by about 3 months. When I bought my bow after shooting it at the dealer I knew that if I decided I didn't like bow hunting I could always join a league and just shoot for fun :)
-Eric

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

We had an archery club in high school. I was shooting a bow long before that. I used to hunt rabbits and groundhogs a lot with the ole stick thrower. If a grouse was unfortunate enough to let me get within range he would be going home for lunch with me too. :lol:

#6 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:30 AM

the chalenge is why i started it just seemed to easy with the rifle :D

#7 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:35 PM

When I was a kid (maybe 10 or 11), my grandfather used to hunt at a local conservation area that only allowed bowhunting. That would have been early 1960s. My grandfather was a blacksmith by trade, and also built a homemade crossbow.

My dad also used to shoot in an archery club in the 40s where they used homemade gear mostly. My dad also used to take me out into the local fields to chase groundhogs with an old Ben Pearson fibderglass recurve. Well I guess I inherited most of my grandfather's and dad's archery gear, which would be pretty lame by today's standards. Neither my grandfather nor my dad tagged very much game with the bow, but they enjoyed getting together with friends and family to share their passion of the outdoors. They were predominantly shotgunners I guess.

With an old York lemonwood longbow that my dad shaved down for me, I used to head out into the woods and fields at the ripe old age of 12 to take on groundhogs, toads, frogs, field mice and just about any other critters that crossed the path of me and my band of merry men.

Well my dad became disabled in the late 60s and was no longer able to hunt. My grandfather passed away around 1969. My passion for the bow was rekindled in the early 1970s when a couple of guys at work encouraged me to bring my old bows out to the local range and fling a few darts at some makeshift targets. We then decided that we'd tackle the art of bowhunting for big game (whitetails) at the same conservation area that my grandad used to hunt at. It was only 1.5 square miles and was the only "archery only" zone in all of southeastern Ontario at the time. Bowhunters were the exception at that time around here and were by no means any kind of a fad or growing sport.

Well I bought my first real serious bow, a Browning Explorer I recurve around that time, and the rest is history. I've been bowhunting now for almost 35 years (seriously) and wouldn't have traded a second for anything. I don't always come home with game, but I do always come home with a big smile.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#8 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:49 AM

My best friend, now passed away, introduced me to bowhunting. I enjoyed bring more difficulty into the sport of hunting and made me a better sportman.

I cannot bow hunt anymore since my multiple neck fractures and fussions. I miss it. But to re-introduced moe difficulty into our sport when I went into muzzleloading.

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#9 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

Mostly for the challenge. I've been tinkering for a couple of years, but got into it a little heavier this season. It also gives me more hunting time with my Dad and brothers in Kentucky.
Posted Image

#10 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

I got into it so I could hunt with Jer, and Huck, and Bruce
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#11 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:10 AM

I started out with a straight recurve bow by Bear. It was a Bear Kodiak recurve. Mostly I got it to just plink around with. It had no sights or fancy gadgets. I rather enjoyed it alot. Then another friend of mine asked me if I ever bowhunted, I said no and that started that. It took quit a few years to harvest my first deer but after the first one man did it put a passion in my heart. I now consider myself more of a bowhunter then rifle hunter. I enjoy seeing how close one can get to its prey and then have the patience to make the perfect shot. So now I pick up the bow everyday (except for the last several months) and shoot at least 50 arrows a day. I can work on my own bows and set up bows for anyone who ask's me too. I love to get a bow shooting at its peak performance, God I love this sport. :yes:

MD

#12 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

I am the only one in my immediate family that hunts, fishes or does anything outdoors! I got introduced to hunting by co-workers when I first moved out to Alberta in 1967, I started with rifle a 308 Remington which I had for many years. I primarly hunted whitetail, moose and elk. How did I get into bowhunting? Too many guys in the bush, I got scared and ran like heck! They were shooting at anything that moved and after having personally witnessed hunting accidents and see 3 people get killed I got out of it! Then a friend of mine said "Klaus why don't you pick up a pick a bow, there won't be any guys hunting with rifles where we hunt. So my first bow was a recurve, a Bear, I never knew how much fun that could be. I had me a blast! Two seasons later I bought me a compound bow (Fred Bear Whitetail). Wow now that was awesome! I just loved the fact that I could get close and personal with the pray I was hunting (or at least try to eh). Now 24 years later I am still throwing sticks and loving it! I still occasionally pick up my Tikka or my camera and it's all fun! eh Being outdoors is all I need, harvest or no harvest. Every time I come home Patsy says " What is that silly grin about" I guess you all know!

Edited by Woody, 27 December 2006 - 11:10 PM.

Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

Could say I was born into it. My dad was full blood Cherokee and I was making bows and arrows at an early age. Started on rabbits and worked my way up.

#14 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

I had always loved hunting with a rifle, but after I killed so much stuff with a rifle, I didn't feel challenged anymore. I started bowhunting about 3 years ago I suppose. It has been slow going because I knew no one that bowhunted, and had to kind of start out learning tidbits from others. I am pretty much hooked now and surround myself with like-minded bowhunters. I still hunt with a rifle, but the feeling of accomplishment isn't quite like taking an animal with stick and string.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users