18 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

:D Can you say Aluminum Stand???? ;)
I'll have pics of the newest victim to fall under the shadow of the aluminum stand as soon as Seth or Paul posts one that they took. :D
Posted Image

#2 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Whistle Pig, 28 November 2006 - 09:47 PM.

Posted Image

#3 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:31 PM

Way to go Phil.

Dave

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

Nice deer. Good job.

Run
-Eric

#5 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

:yes: That's starting to become my favorite stand. Way to go Phil. Details please!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#6 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

Dang all I got was the dreaded Red X! Thanks to Dave Rice though I did see your buck Phil. Nice 4 x 4 there! Congrats Phil!
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:50 AM

:D Actually had this guy 18 yds away from me the 2nd day of bear so we knew he was around. I hated to break tradition but....we put a 16 ft high ladderstand in place of the aluminum ladderstand so you could see over the mountian laurel better. The ol' aluminum stand was relocated just to the north on the next point at the back of the big hollow. We were putting a drive on through the hollow in the late afternoon as the deer weren't moving at all in the 60 degree heat. A doe broke cover and crossed through some oaks at the bottom of the point under the ol' alum. stand (which Eric was sitting in just up the ridge).After the doe got beyond Eric, Gary took 2 shots at and thought he might have connected so we hiked over to check for any signs of a hit. Eric came down to help out and after several minutes of us milling around, we heard sticks breaking above and to the left of the ravine. This buck was bedded in the laurel just below the "replacement stand" and apparently his nerves just couldn't take our gradual approach from below. He came busting aross the the upper part of the ravine, heading towards the pines & clearcuts. I yelled "Buck" and had the the rifle swinging ahead of him, desperately looking for an opening. It all happened so fast that it was really more of a natural reaction than anything preplanned. I swung ahead of him a jump to the one small opening I had, and as he came into the scope(my new Bushnell 3200 3x9) I took the shot. He piled up and I think my jaw hit the ground before he did. It was probably about 125 yd. shot, so I was really forunate to make it and one more jump would have had him safely away. The way we were positioned I was the only one of us who had any chance as Gary & Eric had trees & brush blocking a clear view. The picture doesn't do him justice as he's about the same size as the one Huck got last year. I taped him today, he's got an 17 & 1/2" inside spread and Eric can confirm his weight at around 200lbs. field dressed. Praising God for the entire 3 days at camp with the guys, for Eric's help dressing him out & dragging the buck down to the bottom, and for Gary & his wonderful ATV ! Now for 2 days of work, then off to the farm to hunt doe with Cuz Lee & stuff myself at Aunt Chubby's kitchen table.....geez, they're expecting some snow for the weekend :o

* sorry I looked so tired & grimey in the pic....but man, me getting to hunt for a couple days without any rain was really wearing me down! :wacko:

....oh, BTW Will, Woodhick was in the stand out beyond the pines were you sat in the peasoup fog last year and he had a cow elk calling close by. :o , thought he was dreaming until a bull started bugling back(5 times total). It was close enough he could hear the grunting noise at the end of each bugle. Seth could hear him also. They've been moving into the area as the gaslines provide em with good grazing and our camp is now considered to be in the elk range. What a rush for Woodhick as his son was along on his first deerhunt.

Edited by Phil, 29 November 2006 - 06:20 AM.

Posted Image

#8 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:28 AM

:thumbsup: Way to go phil!

#9 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:29 AM

Congrats Phil nice looking buck harvest.

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#10 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:23 AM

Way to go. Congrats. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:44 AM

Congrats Buddy

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#12 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

:)
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#13 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

:D Thank YOU Phil for all the excitement on Monday, I sure love to hunt with you guys. By the way I would have thought he was wider than 17 and 1/2in. :unsure:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

Congrats to Mr Phil. I will also have to add we hunted two days and were together for three and it Didn't RAIN that is in itself a record.

Eric the inside spread was much wider but you guys dragging and pulling so hard on the antlers pulled them together by a couple of inches.

As soon as my puter lets me upload my pics I'll post em here for youall to see.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#15 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

Congrats Phil, nice buck.
Email me the pic and I'll make it larger so we can see it better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users