11 replies to this topic

#1 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:01 AM

what would you do if you had abearded hen at 7 yards... would you take the shot or not... the reason i ask this is that while hunting with my grandson's yesterday we had bearded hen at 7 yards from the blind and also had 4 more hens and three 2 year old gobblers at 30- 35 yards...could have taken the hen but i wanted to show the boys that the hens are the future of turkey hunting by producing more turkeys for them to hunt in the future....it was a good hunt even tho therest of the birds locked up on us ....25 yards is all i'll shoot with my bow....maybe next time...another note bearded hens that have a 3 in. beard are legle in tenn....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

I think you did right, Tom. Sounds like you had a great day. :yes:

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:49 AM

In the fall season I would, spring I probably wouldn't since she may have a nest already?
Posted Image

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

I agree with Phil..

Marty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#5 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

Tom
That's a good question to ask your fellow game officer. I know in Ohio they want the bearded hens culled along with the white/brown or black turkeys.
I would be interested in hearing their answer..
Ric
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#6 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

I would have done the same...maybe the second time around she wouldn't be so lucky..if the boys weren't around. ;) I did put a 100 grain muzzy through a 9 inch beard this morning at about 15 yds....he wasn't so lucky the first time around! :P

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:47 AM

Ric asked me last night if I called a game officer on this one. I haven't and probably won't.

Honestly, in my own personal experience the more old hens in a flock the more will have beards. The older the hens get, the more likely they are to sprout one. I think it's a genetic trait that is far more prevalent than most realize. Subsequently, trying to "manage" it out of the flock is futile. I think the key here though is this. It mostly seems to only occur on the biggest and oldest hens in the flock. I've seen three different "Bearded Ladies" this year. They are all within the first three birds of the pecking order of the flock.

Now harvesting these hens out of a large flock, theoretically should make little statistically impact on the flock. However, I personally believe that it is these older hens that have the most success rearing chicks. So if you want more turkeys in the area, I say let them walk.
Posted Image

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:57 AM

In reply to RicF I talked to two ODNR officers during the Columbus, Ohio Deer and Turkey show last month and the subject came up on albino or white wild turkeys. They said they are no different than any other Tom. You just see them better when the sun is shining. No special condition about culling them out of the folk beyond your two bird limit. I told them about some white or light gray young birds I saw last summer and they said they will live to be old birds because of where there flock lived with in the city limits. No gun hunting in the city limits and property owners don't allow turkey hunting - only deer with a bow.

I got down on my knees and begged too and still the answer was no turkey hunting. :rofl:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 04 April 2006 - 10:02 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

Would have probably done the same as you Tom.
Posted Image

#10 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:15 AM

talked to the twra on this matter and they said if it has a 3 in beard then she was legle prey....but in my own opinion i think i'll still let bearded ladies walk....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#11 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

B) :lol: well tom, i have to disagree!!! if i were a strapping tom turkey out on the mission to find me a prom date, i would for one appreciate it if you would take the bearded ladies out of the dating scene!! :lol: :lol: no tom, i have had that happen so many times in states where it is legal and i let them walk. i would say that during the fall season they would be fair game with a bow....heck arrowing a turkey is a trophy in itself.hen or tom. but i applaud you for teaching your little hunter good ethics!

Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 06 April 2006 - 07:03 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#12 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

Yes,you did right :yes:
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users