Bow Hand

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

Anyone have any tips on how to steady your bow hand? or atleast a way to cause an unsteady bowhand to NOT effect your shooting? i know that's my biggest problem when shooting.
Semper Fi

#2 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

what is it the shakes? Or the weaves?

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

Assuming draw length and fit of the bow is proper, finding your most steady hold is almost always related to the ratio between your bow's holding draw weight and the mass weight of the bow itself. Generally speaking, the more holding draw weight, the more mass weight is needed on the bow. Rather than write you a book here, I'll point you to an article written by pro archer George Ryals IV that covers things pretty well.
http://www.archerylive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=258

Know this... the path you are about to go down in reading the article (and others on that site) can lead you to an empty wallet and likely some aggrivation as well. Especially if you aren't looking to go full-bore into target archery. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

Frank, it's just an unsteady hand, i don't know what causes it, but i can''t hold steady for anything. I just have to time my shots so that my pin is where i wanna hit when i let the arrow go.

Jere, thanks, but i think i have about the heaviest mass weight i can shoot on my bow already LOL i have other guys look at the weight system i built for it, and just look like they saw a ghost, the reason i want to know how to steady up my bow hand is so i can take off that weight, after about 60 shots, it gets really heavy LOL my bow weighs in around 7lbs or better... shoots smooth, and i can hit pretty darn well, it's just i don't want it that heavy anymore i see it as a crutch.
Semper Fi

#5 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

What type of grip do you use? Maybe a low grip would help? Does it stay the same when you turn the poundage down?

Jer, is this a form of target panic???

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

tdl, i have the same problem with just holding a spoon up at arms length, i think it's just my biomechanics, i don't think it's a problem with form or function, i think it's just a nervous condition that runs in my family or something, it's nothing severe, just that my hands aren't as steady as i would like them to be, the extra weight i have on my bow helps alot, but at the same time, it makes my bow uncomfortable to carry long distances such as during archery tournaments or while hunting.
Semper Fi

#7 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:10 PM

I dont know what your bows bare bow weight is but it sounds to me like you a longer and lighter stablizer is needed to cut down on weight and maintain balance.
As for the hand shaking thats not a big issue. if you watch most people we all shake some. Its basicaly mind over matter so to speak or just plain aiming.
If you have your shot sequence in order than there is no problem. If you have noticed when trying to keep your pin what your aiming at the more you force it the harder it becomes. If you concentrate on the impact point of where your aiming the pin will center its self and your hand shakes will mean nothing.
If you dont have one get you a bow sling to pack your bow for both hunting and target.
I might have to dredge up some of my articles. I had some great write ups on BO so I guess I will have to start over.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

TerryfromAR here's a link to some help on your question. I hope this helps.

Bowhunter steady shooting
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:52 PM

Terry,

Alot of Bowhunters suffer from what I call "Equipmentitis".

Get the bow as light as you want and then shoot the heck out of out. Stop worrying about hand movement and just concentrate on hitting the bull.

In my experience a rotten follow thru is more responsible for inaccuracy than hand movement. Force yourself to keep that pin on the target until you hear the arrow hit (If you find that's hard to do, then there is your problem ;) )
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users