4 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Early September I went on a late summer early fall black bear hunt with BruceMc and his friend and mine Pat. It was my first and it won?t be my last.
We flew into Saskatoon and the next day drove north to LaRonge Sask., where we got on a floatplane for a 30 min flight into the lodge. We were greeted at the docks by DJ & Dawn themselves, the owners of the Black Bear Island outfitter's lodge. They're young couple that is extremely people oriented. Immediately they have a line of the employees who started helping to unload the plane and haul our gear up to our Cabins. Our cabin sit on the waters edge and our front door opens up looking over the lake. After settling in we met DJ at the lodge for dinner and did all of our paper work for the week, like fishing and hunting licenses and such.
No money other then, I paid my initial deposit months before, will be dealt with on the last day.
This was a combination fishing/hunting trip. The fishing was awesome to say the least. I have fished many times and many trips to Canada but this trip tops the list. I highly recommend this place to just come and fish. Your guides know the waterways and are great fishermen themselves. You don't need much to catch a fish of a lifetime.
You can tell that some recent renovations and construction had been done and was going on, and DJ spoke of plans to do more soon. If the place were much nicer it wouldn?t seem right.
The cabins seemed new and had flushing toilets and hot showers. It was kept spotless and clean. Food was fantastic. Scenery is pristine and outstanding.
Check their website out at: http://www.blackbearisland.com/index.htm
Black Bear Island Lodge
Bear hunting for us and most everyone there found it long and tough. We did not see bears but found plenty of tell tale signs of them. The main problem was the blue berry crop was plentiful that time of the year and more this year than others. The bears just weren't hitting the bait that well. They have 15 bears taken that fall season posted on their website and some with guns and others with compound bows so they can accommodate both types of hunts.
DJ offers a 100% guarantee on getting a shot on a bear. If for some reason you don't see a bear you have the option to stay until you do, or you tell him what the trip was worth to you. It?s your call, I chose to stay and the next day with more relocating to a new stand and more bait I tagged my bear. A nice specimen around 225 lbs. but I worked long and hard that week for him. I saw a larger bear after I took mine and I know there are some big ones in those north woods. He won't promise a harvest cause no one knows if you can shoot or not but you will get the opportunity to sooner or later. It's was a fun adventure and a great vacation. I'd recommend saving up and book this one. It gets my Two Thumbs Up.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 30 May 2007 - 03:37 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the heads-up!

I am always looking for a hunt somewhere

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:36 PM

I've hunted with DJ & Dawn twice now...and have another trip planned for June 3rd. of 07. The first trip was awesome with some new owners and some growing pains. This trip was great, but hunting was hard. like Rowdy said, more blue berrys then you knew what to do with and bears that didnt want to hit baits. But thats all part of hunting. No one ( on a free range hunt ) can promise you you'll harvest. But they sure worked their rears ends off to put us in that position.

out of our group, Rowdy, Patrick and myself, 2 bears came home. those are some pretty good numbers for a hard hunt. ( and yes it was hard )

DJ and Dawn went above and beyond when it came to taking care of us. When we extended our stay....( at no additional cost ) because we had not had encounters with bears. Not only did they take their free time to keep us in camp and to hunt. ( this ment cooking meals, cleaning cabins and taking care of us ) but they also took all of our cloths, washed, dryed and folded and returned to our cabin and had them on the table or bunks waiting for us when we came back in on day 5.

Rowdy was pumped with the fishing and I was laughing cause the fall fishing didn't compair to the spring fishing of my prior trip. I can't wait to head back this june.
I hope both Pat and Rowdy will be able to join me.
This time there will be 3 bow hunters :) and hopefully 3 bears.

if your looking for a trip that will keep you going from sun up till sun down ( you have coffee and muffins at your door at 6:30 am ) your expected in the lodge at 7:00 - 7:15 for breakfast. Your on the water fishing by 8:00 - 8:30
shore lunch is around 1:00 - 2:00 back fishing till 3:30 or 4:00 then off to bait stands and get set up. your guide can stay with you if you want or drop you off. they will come back by every few hours, to see if you have a flag flying telling them you have a bear down and to come in.
you can be as hands on as you want, helping pack it out, helping skinning and so on. OR you can be as sit back and relaxed as you want and the guides will pack out the bear, skin it and prep it for you to be shipped off to Hawkins for your mount or rug to be made. ( 99% of their bears go to Hawkins ) you can use your own if you like, but Hawkins is one of the largest and oldest taxidermist in north america ) quality work and good prices.

Dawn will be out there with her SLR digital camera photographing you and burning you copies of all the photos on a cd to bring home with you.

at 9 or 10 pm your guide will pick you up and bring you back to the lodge where a hot supper is waiting for you. You'll hit the sack dead tired and wake up to a knock on the door the next morning at 6:30 am with coffee and muffins waiting to start the next day.

I can't speak highly enough of the operation they run. Its a family type place, you can take your wife and your kids. DJ's family and daughters are their. Your asked to keep the stories clean and watch the lang. if its something you wouldn't want your own daughter hearing, then its something he doesnt want his daughters hearing as well. On each trip up there have been fathers with their sons on fishing trips. Even had Grandpa, father and daughter all doing bear hunts. ( the daughter was 14 )

check them out and if you get a chance book a trip. it will be one in a lifetime for you.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:18 AM

Good luck guys!

Fatty