• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

For the past two days I have been doing a little shooting with my RMC Accusporter, my newest flintlock.
With the flintlock season coming fast and two tags to punch yet I thought I had better get this flinter shooting where I want it. I want to use the 300 gr xtp so have been making a bit of smoke fly the past couple of days because the sun actually is shining in PA. The wind is a factor though as it is blowing around 15 mph.

I also had to get used to the flintlock ignition again and get back into the open sights (ugh). I am getting an adequate pattern just not great. I am tempted to put a scope on just to see if my patterns are my fault or the rifles.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:06 AM

Sounds like fun. Watch the eyebrows! :lol: Don't need a forest fire on your forehead. :o)

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:00 PM

Out of my fast twist traditional rifles.. I have been shooting 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and a 300 grain Hornady XTP. I wonder if you need to push the projectile a little harder to make them smooth out.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

Cayugad I am thinking the same thing. I am going to try in incremental amounts up to 100 gr from my traditional 80 gr to see what happens.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

Well I tried 90 gr of 3f Gooex behind the 300 gr xtp and got much better results so I guess for the moment this will be my hunting load. I was getting about an inch group at 35 yds with truglo open sights in a flintlock. I am going to look into RMC's vee peep rear sight which I have one on my inline now. I seem to be able to see the front sight better looking through the vee peep.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

That sounds like you got a shooter.. with that kind of load a deer will get flattened. I just bought one box each of the 300 & 240 grain in both .452 & .430 diameter so I should have a lot ot shoot. This should get me through the winter. I also got a box of 250 grain XTP I want to test and shoot...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users